• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quarter 1776-1976

13 posts in this topic

It is the Bicentennial 25c that was minted for 1975 & 1976. Approximately 810 million were made in Philadelphia and 860 million in Denver.

Chris

This is an interesting coin since they've been in circulation for more than thirty years now. They went into production in mid '75 and were released to great fanfare a few months later. The masses picked up on this coin very early and saved large quantities though few inside the hobby has ever had much interest in it. Over the years the number in circulation has always been far lower than the number produced because there are so many hoarding them. This can still be seen in the high grade of the examples that are seen now that most have returned to circulation. There are still large numbers of rolls and bags of brand new coins but not nearly so many as used to exist. These coins are fairly typical of the era in that gems and better are most unusual. The Denver issue shows up as choice quite frequently but gems are much tougher. The Philly is not often seen in choice condition but is available in the millions of coins saved. Gems are tough. These appear in the '76 mint sets where gems are fairly common for both mints. The same coins are in the '75 sets but gems are tough in these. There exists a doubled die obverse for the denver issue which is quite rare and brings over $1000 in circulated grades.

This makes an interesting US type coin since superb specimens are really quite tough.

Superb Denver coins tend to have a very brilliant surface and the Phillys are more satiny like chrome. Phillys tend to be kept out of superb status by light marking and Denvers by weak strikes especially on the reverse at the top of the drum. Both coins sometimes appear as incredible PL's.

Be aware that 40% silver proofs do turn up in circulation on occasion. It would likely be mishandled, and therefore only worth, say a buck, though.

And more importantly, Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

James

Cladking,

As you know, the Bicentennial Ike dollar was produced in 1975 and in 1976. The two can be differentiated by the lettering on the reverse, i.e. wide, bold lettering or narrow, crisp lettering. Are there any such diagnostics for the Bicentennial quarter or half??

Cladking,

As you know, the Bicentennial Ike dollar was produced in 1975 and in 1976. The two can be differentiated by the lettering on the reverse, i.e. wide, bold lettering or narrow, crisp lettering. Are there any such diagnostics for the Bicentennial quarter or half??

There's only the single type of the quarter though the mint set coins do appear slightly different many times there are no means to positively differentiate them. There's no diffference between the earlier and later half dollars either though gems are a little easier in the '76 set. All of the circulation issue type I Ikes were struck in 1975 and all the Ikes in '75 mint sets are type I's. The '76 regular mint set has type II's but the mint switched to the type II's early on in production rather than at the beginning of 1976. There are differences on both sides with a very dramatic crease and some minor changes on the obverse. There are no reported mules.

Thanks for the info, Cladkingster!

I have the PCGS designer-autographed 3-coin bicentennial set which I really like. They are numbered #75. Cool since that is the year they were issued. Maybe 76 would have been a better number but I didn't think about it at the time.

Thanks for the info, Cladkingster!

I have the PCGS designer-autographed 3-coin bicentennial set which I really like. They are numbered #75. Cool since that is the year they were issued. Maybe 76 would have been a better number but I didn't think about it at the time.

Hindsight is better than foresight, but if you had ordered two sets you probably would have received #75 & #76. foreheadslap.gif

Chris hi.gif