• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Poll

Is grading  

429 members have voted

1. 1. Is grading

31 posts in this topic

50% informational/technical/quantitative attributions and 50% aesthetics. How these weigh in ultimately depends on the coin issue, its history, including production, and relative rarity. All these aspects are considered in a sort of "clinical" evaluation of the coin. In that sense, the grade that is assigned is an artfully derived summation of characteristics - a uniquely human perspective, and experience makes for the only solid ground for its practice.

Hoot

An art, with the requisite mastery of the technical aspects, such as strike, surface preservation, percentage of luster, and reflectivity. The most important (in my opinion) evaluative aspect of grading is an ART, and that is determining eye appeal.

When someone with relatively long standing knowledge and experience in hand grades a coin it is an art. When someone with any amount of knowledge and experience grades coins by the dozens per day as a paid grader, it is just a job and is susceptible to all the strains and pressures that anyone may face in their day to day job. This is neither art nor science-just a job that may be well done on Wednesday and poorly done on Friday. IMO.

It's more science than art. People who spend time talking about "art" might well be the ones who have an excuse for over grading or "grade-flation."

Yes, grading standards have changed, but not for the better in recent years.

It is a scientific art. Like one of those mathematical abstractions that relies on complicated formulas, or like a fractal. There is a good bit of science involved, but the end product is an art.

I can live with a hybrid explanation. Fractal is over my head as I was a philosophy major. :o

As a scientist by profession I can unequivocably say that grading is an art. If it were a science there would be a set of standard AND repeatable/ predictable results. If a person can crack-out a coin and submit it for grading and get 3 different results, there is no science. Also when eye-appeal carries such weight...enough said...

Market grading is certainly an art. Eye appeal is a purely subjective standard. Technical grading, OTOH, has objective standards; however, the activity of weighing those in an effort to assign the overall grade is subjective. As such, I voted "art."