• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

APB - BOLO - MOST WANTED COINS
1 1

25 posts in this topic

[Note:  I've no objection to having this post, and potential thread moved to the thread devoted to thr "French 20-franc gold rooster" at the Administrator's discretion.] 

It has just come to my attention that the two (2) recently authenticated and certified French 20-franc gold roosters, both adjudged to be of MS-68 character, have "defected" to the NGC Census. By whom, or why, I do not now. 

Accordingly, I am issuing an "ALL POINTS BULLETIN," AND A "BE ON THE LOOKOUT" FOR BOTH AN NGC MS-68 AND 1908 and 1912 COINS (certification numbers unknown to me.)

If you, or someone you know, knows anything about the whereabouts of these two coins, kindly drop me a line, as soon as practicable. (I do not have a manufacturer's suggested retail price [MSRP]. I will leave that determination to be made by the  pop.1/0, Fair Market Value gods to engage in physical combat over. 

Quotable quote;  "As a mere undistinguished chiffonier, I am nothing.  With an MS-68 GOLD Rooster, I am a somebody. I am a contender.  I may well relinquish my titles of Current and Greatest Of All Time"  Q.A.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing; misspellings, and the like.

On 9/25/2021 at 10:29 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Note:  I've no objection to having this post, and potential thread moved to the thread devoted to thr "French 20-franc gold rooster" at the Administrator's discretion.] 

It has just come to my attention that the two (2) recently authenticated and certified French 20-franc gold roosters, both adjudged to be of MS-68 character, have "defected" to the NGC Census. By whom, or why, I do not now. 

Accordingly, I am issuing an "ALL POINTS BULLETIN," AND A "BE ON THE LOOKOUT" FOR BOTH AN NGC MS-68 AND 1908 and 1912 COINS (certification numbers unknown to me.)

If you, or someone you know, knows anything about the whereabouts of these two coins, kindly drop me a line, as soon as practicable. (I do not have a manufacturer's suggested retail price [MSRP]. I will leave that determination to be made by the  pop.1/0, Fair Market Value gods to engage in physical combat over. 

Quotable quote;  "As a mere undistinguished chiffonier, I am nothing.  With an MS-68 GOLD Rooster, I am a somebody. I am a contender.  I may well relinquish my titles of Current and Greatest Of All Time"  Q.A.

I hope you realize these may have been raw coins submitted by a collector with no present plans to sell. I hope you can get them, but I would not EXPECT it. 

On 9/25/2021 at 11:44 PM, VKurtB said:

I hope you realize these may have been raw coins submitted by a collector with no present plans to sell. I hope you can get them, but I would not EXPECT it. 

Vraiment?  [Truly?]  I do know, however, that someone --  not necessarily a collector, had no idea what they had, sold it for a pittance to a collector who did, who was familiar with the concept of certification, submitted it to PCGS and recently had it cross-graded to NGC without placing it in either Set Registry. All I know is PCGS was the first to get them, and instead of showcasing them there, swiftly cross-graded them where, once again they languish in anonymity. For all I know, they may have been spirited outside the country.  But it is time-consuming to check a dozen possible sites here and abroad.  Hence the appeal for more eyes on the ground -- including relevant auction houses. If both have been certified, we have some consensus of opinion. Now all I need to know is who's got 'em, where are they, and what's it going to take to get them in my hands, with, or without the assistance of an expeditor or bloodhound. Someone somewhere knows something and I aim to find out who it is before the year is out.   

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Misspelling and die polishing

I have been collecting for 50 years and have yet to understand the concept or practice of competitive collecting. If you are a smoo with one coin you are a smoo with another., no mater what name or number is on the holder. If you have the money and where-with-all to obtain them, and it gives you pleasure than I hope you get them. I retain the right to think you are a smoo, (or not) with or without them.

On 9/26/2021 at 5:33 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Vraiment?  [Truly?]  I do know, however, that someone --  not necessarily a collector, had no idea what they had, sold it for a pittance to a collector who did, who was familiar with the concept of certification, submitted it to PCGS and recently had it cross-graded to NGC without placing it in either Set Registry. All I know is PCGS was the first to get them, and instead of showcasing them there, swiftly cross-graded them where, once again they languish in anonymity. For all I know, they may have been spirited outside the country.  But it is time-consuming to check a dozen possible sites here and abroad.  Hence the appeal for more eyes on the ground -- including relevant auction houses. If both have been certified, we have some consensus of opinion. Now all I need to know is who's got 'em, where are they, and what's it going to take to get them in my hands, with, or without the assistance of an expeditor or bloodhound. Someone somewhere knows something and I aim to find out who it is before the year is out.   

...just food for thought in ur ocd pursuit to locate the ms68 roosters, just because they have not shown up in any of the registry sets yet doesnt mean that one of the registry set owners doesnt have them, he/she may not want to publicize them at this time...for example, in one of my number 1 registry sets, i have submitted my duplicate set instead of my finest set where every coin is the finest certified, solely because i dont want to list my finest set n have no need to to do so since my duplicate set suffices to achieve my goal...many registry set owners just believe in a "dont show all ur cards at once" philosophy, one never knows when one mite need to perform a coup d' etat at the stroke of midnite.....

Edited by zadok
grammar

On 9/26/2021 at 8:30 AM, Moxie15 said:

I have been collecting for 50 years and have yet to understand the concept or practice of competitive collecting. If you are a smoo with one coin you are a smoo with another., no mater what name or number is on the holder. If you have the money and where-with-all to obtain them, and it gives you pleasure than I hope you get them. I retain the right to think you are a smoo, (or not) with or without them.

I don't know from smoo, and neither does Google.  Now schmoe, I know which I do not find objectionable in the least. It is always a pleasure to hear from you as you rarely speak up.  🐓 

On 9/26/2021 at 11:32 AM, RWB said:

Saw that BOLO on the agency net -- Quintus must have some real pull.

Most states use one or the other; the latest is "person of interest."

On 9/26/2021 at 11:23 AM, zadok said:

...just food for thought in ur ocd pursuit to locate the ms68 roosters, just because they have not shown up in any of the registry sets yet doesnt mean that one of the registry set owners doesnt have them, he/she may not want to publicize them at this time...for example, in one of my number 1 registry sets, i have submitted my duplicate set instead of my finest set where every coin is the finest certified, solely because i dont want to list my finest set n have no need to to do so since my duplicate set suffices to achieve my goal...many registry set owners just believe in a "dont show all ur cards at once" philosophy, one never knows when one mite need to perform a coup d' etat at the stroke of midnite.....

I have considered that. On the other hand, nothing ventured, nothing gained. In all of my Want Lists I include "MS-68, when available," and for the greater part of my membership, have received bupkis. It may very well be either are way beyond my means depending on the method chosen to sell them. Between you and me, I announced my retirement; these or any other MS-68's will simply serve as the nail(s) in my coffin  ⚰

On 9/27/2021 at 10:23 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

I have considered that. On the other hand, nothing ventured, nothing gained. In all of my Want Lists I include "MS-68, when available," and for the greater part of my membership, have received bupkis. It may very well be either are way beyond my means depending on the method chosen to sell them. Between you and me, I announced my retirement; these or any other MS-68's will simply serve as the nail(s) in my coffin  ⚰

there is the possibility of coffins evolving to encapsulation sonically sealed, some of us labelled PO-1 or last day of issue....

On 9/27/2021 at 10:08 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

I don't know from smoo, and neither does Google.  Now schmoe, I know which I do not find objectionable in the least. It is always a pleasure to hear from you as you rarely speak up.  🐓 

I used smoo because there is no meaning. The last thing I wanted was to defend myself from some self appointed language cop screaming how I offended them. 

On 9/27/2021 at 1:11 PM, Moxie15 said:

The last thing I wanted was to defend myself from some self appointed language cop screaming how I offended them.

Yessir     (thumbsu

On 9/27/2021 at 10:11 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Most states use one or the other; the latest is "person of interest."

They also have "uninteresting person" ..... NOLO "not on the lookout."

On 9/27/2021 at 3:03 PM, RWB said:

There is no semblance of a doubt in my mind you would reach for the key and tap me out a Morse Code wire seconds after inadvertently hearing the good news!

On 9/27/2021 at 1:11 PM, Moxie15 said:

The last thing I wanted was to defend myself from some self appointed language cop screaming how I offended them. 

Just now, nearly 90 days after your post, I received a formal letter from a moderator notably remarkable for its restraint in suggesting I cease and desist from irritating other members. I have no plans to let Matt G down. (As of this date, the two unique NGC-graded MS-68 FRENCH GOLD ROOSTERS 🐓 BOTH 1908 AND 1912 HAVE YET TO A SURFACE ANYWHERE ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH.)

On 12/20/2021 at 3:05 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Just now, nearly 90 days after your post, I received a formal letter from a moderator notably remarkable for its restraint in suggesting I cease and desist from irritating other members. I have no plans to let Matt G down. (As of this date, the two unique NGC-graded MS-68 FRENCH GOLD ROOSTERS 🐓 BOTH 1908 AND 1912 HAVE YET TO A SURFACE ANYWHERE ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH.)

People with a sense of humor NEVER irritate me. On the other hand, those who take themselves too seriously ALWAYS irritate me. Note well, moderators.

On 12/20/2021 at 11:14 PM, VKurtB said:

People with a sense of humor NEVER irritate me. On the other hand, those who take themselves too seriously ALWAYS irritate me. Note well, moderators.

You are a breath of fresh air, sir.  It is always a pleasure hearing from you!  Happy holidays!

P.S.  Now about those two 68's you've been hiding from me.  😉 

On 12/20/2021 at 10:19 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

You are a breath of fresh air, sir.  It is always a pleasure hearing from you!  Happy holidays!

P.S.  Now about those two 68's you've been hiding from me.  😉 

I have a plethora of 68’s, 69’s, and 70’s. Alas, none in the series you seek.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:44 PM, VKurtB said:

Footnote:  In the nearly 90 days that have elapsed since you've written this, both coins have failed to surface after an intensive dragnet.

On 12/22/2021 at 6:02 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Footnote:  In the nearly 90 days that have elapsed since you've written this, both coins have failed to surface after an intensive dragnet.

I’m not really surprised. People have reasons other than registries and selling to have coins graded. Sometimes it’s all about simple preservation. 

1900   9443   (proofs)

With only 615,000 minted, the 1900 is the rarest of the 🐓

Now I stumbled across an obscure reference to 9,000+ proofs 🐓

Where are they now?  What happened to them?  I vaguely recall one was listed for sale by Liberty two years ago for $24,400 -- but whether it was sold, or withdrawn, remains unknown to me. 🤔 

How does one establish the fair market value for something apparently so rare? 🤔 

APB/BOLO isn't the right term for this.  Let's just say,  SEEKING INFORMATION, and leave it at that.

Note to file:  no signs of the two MIA MS-68s

On 9/27/2021 at 3:03 PM, RWB said:

nolo contendere: I do not wish to contend. :whistle: