• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 D Delaware Clipped Planchet Quarter. To grade or not to grade, that is the question?

19 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

I found this quarter in a roll while coin roll hunting.  I took it to a coin shop and the guy there confirmed it was indeed a clipped planchet.  I unfortunately forgot to ask him the question I ponder to you fine folks.  Is this coin worth getting graded and slabbed?  I did try to find a comparable coin to see if I should send it in but had no luck.  Any advice on this coin?  

Thank you

Kevin Hamilton

20210925_152058.jpg

20210925_151906.jpg

On 9/25/2021 at 6:55 PM, Greenstang said:

The large clip does not look genuine to me.

Nor to me.  I think it's damage.  Someone did that deliberately after the coin was minted.

Edited by Mohawk

It looks like the rim is showing signs of Blakesley opposite the clips, the rim appears to fade at the clips and the details seem to fade away near the clips.  I think it looks legit, the only thing that looks suspicious is that the larger clip just looks so clean with possible upward turned metal, if that's true then I'm thinking maybe someone "touched it up" a little. OP, any chance of getting a picture of the edge of the large clip?

As far as having it graded, I took a quick look at sold listings on ebay and it does not appear to be worth the expense of grading. 

Thank you once again everyone.  I am glad I asked before sending it in.  When I original found it I thought it was damage myself.  What made me think otherwise was that the clip goes through lettering on both sides and the lettering looks is if it comes to an abrupt stop rather than looking traumatized and jagged like you would see if someone were to cut or grind it.  Either way, I have never seen or had a coin that looked like this so I thought I would ask first.  Here are pictures of the larger clip Fenntucky Mike.

Thanks once again

Kevin

20210926_083136.jpg

20210926_083250.jpg

Gonna state my case for it not being a true clip (Not saying I'm right, just my opinion)

I didn't take the time to do a side by side so you can compare my photo with the original

Look at the rim where the clip ends, it should have what I call a dovetail effect where the inside of the rim runs inward. The OP's coin runs to the  edge.

On the  letters metal flows off the edge and the details don't end abruptly. The OP's coin end abruptly.

The fields should be clean on the edge. The OP's coin show metal  on the edge.

clipped planchet (2).jpg

On 9/26/2021 at 3:58 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Looks like the metal got hot from a grinder

And I think that puts this thread to bed......someone doing something goofy with a coin and a power tool.  

Any chance you could show your photo set up?   Grading and good pictures are where I am at right now. So curious and I think you are doing great. Thanks 

Most don’t realize how much good pictures help. 

Edited by James Zyskowski