• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 $50 Gold Eagle MS-70 Type 2

6 posts in this topic

I am not a big follower of Gold eagles (mostly ASE's) but I did get a 2021 Gold eagle for little over spot but now they are trying to sell a Type 2 $50 Gold eagle - MS70 for 4900. I don't beleive this coin is worth twice as much as a similar Type 1. Thoughts ?? 

thanx for helping :) 

Leroy

Hi Leroy,

Well, unless the 2021 Type 2 is some kind of condition rarity in MS70, which I highly doubt and I doubt if we'd know it was or not at this point, that coin is WAY overpriced.  I think you can definitely find a better deal on a 2021 Type 2 AGE if you want one.  Just my thoughts and I hope they help.

~Tom

I agree with what Mohawk said. Eagles (gold and silver) are already highly marked up pieces of bullion. Adding additional mark up for a grade seems crazy to me. I know they are collectible and nothing wrong with that, but from a pure financial standpoint I wouldn’t put more over the already excessive premium for a precious metal piece. My opinion only. 

I think everything type 2 is way overpriced and it will stay that way as long as people keep buying. The dealers are finally making money on all the new coins for 2021 and that's cool, but they are not going to give out any deals until purchases slow down.    

On 9/24/2021 at 4:48 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I think everything type 2 is way overpriced and it will stay that way as long as people keep buying. The dealers are finally making money on all the new coins for 2021 and that's cool, but they are not going to give out any deals until purchases slow down.    

Yep.  The dealers are cashing on the first year of issue hype.  It'll die down.  I think by next year, any premium for the 2021 Type 2's will be minimal.  For collectors that want the Type 2 coins, I think waiting is the smartest move to make right now, at least where the actual bullion pieces are concerned.