• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One likely source for toned Morgan dollars
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I am going to pretend my version is the correct one:

To my knowledge, silver does not rust.  Accordingly, this is a grocery list of items compiled by an employee named "Rusty" responding to a routine request made by his employer.   :makepoint: 

That's right. The word "rusty" was being applied to discolored/tarnished coins retrieved from moldy and rotting cotton duck bags. There was little in Mint vaults that would induce extensive rust deposits on coin -- no steel cans of dollars, etc. There was plenty of sulfur from the cloth, and coal fires, however.

Edited by RWB

On 9/24/2021 at 4:53 PM, VKurtB said:

I like the “found” coins added in. Awesome bookkeeping.

Do you think maybe some fellas had 'heavy' pockets that day?

Edited by Alex in PA.

I do not know the first thing about Mint operations -- or even whether your question is rhetorical, but it is my guess, where precious metals or jewelry are involved, employees are required to don form-fitting one piece coveralls minus pockets and hemmed trousers but I suspect only written records, official mint employee manuals, the offspring of those with first-hand knowledge and institutional memory, tour guides if such were or are employed -- and @RWB(or his hairdresser) would know for sure.  😉 

On 9/25/2021 at 7:56 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

and @RWB(or his hairdresser) would know for sure.

One must have hair for it to be properly dressed.

;)