• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 P Roosevelt Dime: Is this an example of a "strike through"? two indentations on the jugular that looks like a vampire bat bite

6 posts in this topic

While looking through a roll of dimes I picked up at the bank, I saw what looked like two dots on the neck of Roosevelt.  The pictures are taken with my phone, it's the best I can do.  The 'dots' on the neck are the most obvious, I didn't notice the two by the B until I zoomed in.  There were several other dimes with the same "dots", but in different locations on the dime.  They are not 'dots' but indentations.  Is this an example of a "Strike Through"?  Is this something that's cool but worth $.10 or should I look into having it graded

As this is the first time I've posted on the forum, I'm not sure how the images will appear

"Original Image" is...well the original image, I cropped it a bit to focus on the dime itself

I've also added images that are zoomed in on the bite marks above the P as well as the marks next to the B.  
I've also added an image of a second example with the bite marks behind the chin. 

I think I'm going to call it my Rabid Roosevelt dime. 

Original image.jpg

above the p.jpg

below the b.jpg

cropped in a bit.jpg

2nd example but on behind the chin.jpg

Hello and Welcome sdysart!!

Greenstang nailed this one......those are bag marks.  Your coin was just hit with the edge of another coin, causing the indentations you are seeing.  It's not an error.

Thanks Mohawk and Greenstang.  I'll learn more about Bag Marks and how to spot them.  So Rabid Roosevelt goes in the book because it's a fun coin, but the one with the marked chin goes to buy my kids a lollipop.

On 9/17/2021 at 8:03 PM, sdysart said:

the one with the marked chin goes to buy my kids a lollipop.

That's a great use for it!