• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 penny no mint … anyone know what was going on with Lincoln this year lol

13 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2021 at 12:36 PM, Thomas Beers said:

Anyone know how to do a decent close up with iPhone 12 Pro Max I thinks it’s a piece of junk with 3 lenses 

That's all I have ever used, my iPhone.  I used to have an iPhone 10 which took great pics but it died and all I have is a 6 now...... junk!!!  What I do is take a 10X loupe (I prefer a triplet lens loupe because they have zero distortion by means of their construction) and I place it directly against my phone lens.  I then zoom in on my phone to the appropriate level and then move the phone closer or further away and take a pic. You have to be steady, obviously, at higher magnification for close-ups but it shouldn't take you long to get the hang of it.  You should be very good to go with an iPhone 12!! Those things I hear take some incredible quality pics.  Also, meant to add, 1968 Lincolns are known to look like yours where IGWT is tucked up close to the rim and the L is also tucked close to the rim.  Looks normal to me too other than was said earlier about it possibly being a very slight MAD.  

Edited by GBrad

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Roger (RWB) nailed it. The imagery  on the obverse hub deteriorated and expanded outward after decades of producing dies, and a new master hub was created for 1969's coinage. Even the 1968-S proof cents crowd the rim a bit.

Practice practice practice. I use an iPhone 7 a$10 stand mostly just walk around until I get the right light. 

C24E3FA6-A671-4501-A614-DFB3D5B2F334.jpeg

I set the phone on photo settings some use portrait. I use my finger on the screen and move the telescopic feature to about 2-3. Hard part is lighting and I just tilt the coin until I get a good shot

Edited by James Zyskowski