• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of silver
4 4

2,200 posts in this topic

@Coinbuf  With all due respect, if True-Views pass muster with @VKurtB I may be inclined to accommodate @Cat Bath's request -- but there are still other thorny questions to consider, particularly when one considers total, complete surrender of items that are irreplaceable, insured or not.

On 9/24/2021 at 10:06 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@Coinbuf  With all due respect, if True-Views pass muster with @VKurtB I may be inclined to accommodate @Cat Bath's request -- but there are still other thorny questions to consider, particularly when one considers total, complete surrender of items that are irreplaceable, insured or not.

TrueViews are among the best out there.

On 9/24/2021 at 5:21 PM, Coinbuf said:

Been a bit since I added anything. :)  I have never paid for a PCGS TV photo but a few of my coins have one available.

1940hs.png

On Regular submissions TrueViews are free. 

On 9/25/2021 at 2:03 AM, robec1347 said:

On Regular submissions TrueViews are free. 

That explains why some of my coins lack them.  They were already slabbed when I got them and I simply added them to my loose-leaf album.

But you raise an interesting question:  if an enslaved coin is cracked out, and sent in raw, and PCGS checks their photo collection archives, however cumbersome, on a hunch and a retired NSA employee working part-time discovers beyond a reasonable doubt that Quintus Arrius -- already a repeat offender with an internal Red Notice has evidently re-submitted a coin authenticated, certified and photographed in the past -- what then?

Of greater importance to me (since my religious beliefs prohibit willful decapsulations) am I correct in assuming that that True-View photography necessitates such action?

One thing for sure: if the #3 ranked rising star at the NGC Set Registry for Roosters snags one of two known MS-68 graded coins known to be in existence, I am not going to rain on his parade.  There is nothing worse than spending time and money on a supposedly sure thing, only to be upset by an upstart.  Bad enough I dashed PCGS Kirk's dreams of fame and fortune (and award/plaque) by an infinitesimal number of points that will require a considerable effort on his part to overcome.

In the meantime, I will be monitoring the Rooster threads for disturbing updates and if they come up with a vaccination to discourage such window shopping I will join @Alex in PA. and his pals in Alaska to show me the ropes in ice-fishing, if my boss, the wife, lets me. 🐓 

It appears our host and pcgs decided to give the ASE Type1 and 2 a "value", I'll assume they wait for the dust to settle to determine how many get submitted/graded.
NGC currently: Type 1 MS70 reg. label $60 ... Type 2 MS70 reg. label $65
PCGS currently: Type 1 MS70 reg. label $70 ... Type 2 MS70 reg label (no current value)

On 9/25/2021 at 6:02 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

That explains why some of my coins lack them.  They were already slabbed when I got them and I simply added them to my loose-leaf album.

But you raise an interesting question:  if an enslaved coin is cracked out, and sent in raw, and PCGS checks their photo collection archives, however cumbersome, on a hunch and a retired NSA employee working part-time discovers beyond a reasonable doubt that Quintus Arrius -- already a repeat offender with an internal Red Notice has evidently re-submitted a coin authenticated, certified and photographed in the past -- what then?

🐓

The free TrueView for Regular service level submissions is a relatively new policy………maybe a year or so. So it’s quite likely your already slabbed PCGS coins won’t have TrueViews. It’s also possible that some of those slabs may have been submitted using the Economy service level, in which case won’t have TrueViews unless they were paid for. You can also check your slabs to see if there is a gold shield on the insert. These will/should have TrueViews attributed to them.  

Any coin with a TrueView will keep that TrueView if the coin is sent in for a regrade submission or a Reholder as long as it is still in the holder. If the coin is cracked out and sent in raw the old TrueView will not follow automatically. It might be possible to link the old TrueView with the cracked out coin with a phone call or email to customer service explaining the coin was a crack out and furnishing the old Cert number.. Their database uses the Cert number in checking for TrueViews. I don’t think they are setup for photo recognition.

A few of my NGC pieces lack photos, but that is a rapidly shrinking proportion. Literally ALL of my PCGS pieces lack photos.

On 9/25/2021 at 12:52 PM, robec1347 said:

The free TrueView for Regular service level submissions is a relatively new policy………maybe a year or so. So it’s quite likely your already slabbed PCGS coins won’t have TrueViews. It’s also possible that some of those slabs may have been submitted using the Economy service level, in which case won’t have TrueViews unless they were paid for. You can also check your slabs to see if there is a gold shield on the insert. These will/should have TrueViews attributed to them.  

Any coin with a TrueView will keep that TrueView if the coin is sent in for a regrade submission or a Reholder as long as it is still in the holder. If the coin is cracked out and sent in raw the old TrueView will not follow automatically. It might be possible to link the old TrueView with the cracked out coin with a phone call or email to customer service explaining the coin was a crack out and furnishing the old Cert number.. Their database uses the Cert number in checking for TrueViews. I don’t think they are setup for photo recognition.

The first time I saw a gold shield on a silver coin, I was shocked. In fact, at least on World Gold., I thought they were mandatory and paid for them accordingly.  I appreciate the clarification.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:32 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I think the Heritage and Great Collections photos are top-notch. (thumbsu

True, but I’ve seen horrible shots by both of them AND Stacks Bowers. Not often, but some.  There IS NO WAY short of holding the coin in your hand, under lighting you choose. I will always believe that. Coins are 3D objects, not flat art. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/26/2021 at 12:40 AM, VKurtB said:

True, but I’ve seen horrible shots by both of them AND Stacks Bowers. Not often, but some.  There IS NO WAY short of holding the coin in your hand, under lighting you choose. I will always believe that. Coins are 3D objects, not flat art. 

And if I may be so bold as to ask, what is or are the authoritative sources upon which you so cavalierly apply in support of your belief?

Forget True-blue-view,  Heritage, and Great Collections?

What about "our own" tried and true @Buffalo Head or does he not qualify for a mention?  If I had my druthers, he'd be the man for the job.  (It's not even dawnin' in the mawnin' and I'm spoilin' for a fight!.  Hope y'all have your spurs handy?)😉 

Does anyone reading this have any Proof Barber or Standing Liberty Quarter they may be willing to trade for one of my Proof Seated Liberty Quarters?  If you may be interested, please message me.  The coins I have for trade are dated 1860, 63, 79, 97 and 1889.  This may be the wrong place to put this and I may get jumped on by somebody looking for a fight.......LOL.  J/K I hope.

On 9/26/2021 at 9:30 AM, tigerbait said:

Does anyone reading this have any Proof Barber or Standing Liberty Quarter they may be willing to trade for one of my Proof Seated Liberty Quarters?  If you may be interested, please message me.  The coins I have for trade are dated 1860, 63, 79, 97 and 1889.  This may be the wrong place to put this and I may get jumped on by somebody looking for a fight.......LOL.  J/K I hope.

1887, not 97 as stated.

That's where I'm going to go.  There might be an MS-68 Rooster or two lying around.  Ya never now.

Word to @tigerbait...

I believe all PROOFS pretty much look alike but it's the date of the coin you seek that is really important. IMHO.