• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Order of NGC Certification #'s

12 posts in this topic

Does NGC recycle certification numbers?   Is it possible that one starting with 2108XXX-XXX could have been issued by NGC only a month or so ago in June/July 2021?  I have purchased NGC graded coins with Cert #'s higher than that back in 2020.  I was looking at a coin and the dealer told me it's a brand new holder and just a month old.  I have always been under the impression the Cert #'s keep going in order and the numbers only grow higher as time passes on.  NGC or anyone please confirm as the dealer got mad at me for questioning him on that.

Thanks!

Were they US coins or Foreign?  Just curious as with all my US coins the cert #'s seem to go in order and increased.  The coin in question is a foreign coin so with your response I now wonder if foreign coins follow a different series of numbers or have specific prefixes.

On 8/2/2021 at 7:51 PM, MN1 said:

Were they US coins or Foreign?  Just curious as with all my US coins the cert #'s seem to go in order and increased.  The coin in question is a foreign coin so with your response I now wonder if foreign coins follow a different series of numbers or have specific prefixes.

Foreign/World coins.

I've had Submission Form #'s from 282XXXX to 473XXXX all World Coin submissions. It's seems like they have a couple blocks of numbers that they use sequentially, U.S. and World coins may indeed have separate blocks of numbers. (shrug)

You said your dealer told you it was a brand new holder, not that he said it was just certified, so it's possible it's a reholder.  Reholders, coins sent in to be taken out of the existing, usually damaged, holder and placed in a brand new holder, sometimes get the same/original cert number and sometimes get a brand new number.  I've received both types back, but I've never determined why sometimes the number changes and sometimes it doesn't. 

On 8/3/2021 at 5:19 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Foreign/World coins.

I've had Submission Form #'s from 282XXXX to 473XXXX all World Coin submissions. It's seems like they have a couple blocks of numbers that they use sequentially, U.S. and World coins may indeed have separate blocks of numbers. (shrug)

I got 2828282. Fun looking.

• Administrator

Hello,

The first numbers before the - may be the same but the last digits will be different.  There are no numbers that are exactly the same.

Thank you,

Lisa

NGC confirmed that the coin's Cert.# was actually graded in November 2020 and not last month like the dealer was insisting.  The dealer lied.

Sadly, I never asked the dealer when the coin was graded so he had no reason to lie.  All credibility was lost right there with that guy and any potential business from me.

On 8/5/2021 at 2:52 PM, MN1 said:

NGC confirmed that the coin's Cert.# was actually graded in November 2020 and not last month like the dealer was insisting.  The dealer lied.

Sadly, I never asked the dealer when the coin was graded so he had no reason to lie.  All credibility was lost right there with that guy and any potential business from me.

Dealers send in hundreds, sometimes thousands of coins.   I wouldn't automatically assume malice over this.  It doesn't really matter when it was graded.   It was 9 months ago instead of a month.  Ok you got him.  lol     Geesh.

I never had an issue with the coin and when it was graded when I was looking into it.  I didn't even ask.  The dealer saying only a month ago was just his deceptive sales practice.  It was the point that he lied and he did the same thing on another coin saying is was graded a few months earlier than the other.  The 2nd coin had the older standard NGC label from 2008 which made it obvious immediately it wasn't just recently graded.  It turned out that coin was actually graded and slabbed in 2015.  I just don't understand the need to lie when selling a coin but I guess that's how that dealer works and so I don't do business with him.  A coin and it's grade should sell itself so there is no need to make deceptive sales pitches and that's what my point was.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The 7-digit certification numbers are not issued sequentially, though certain blocks of numbers tend to be clustered around particular time periods. That's just because the hard copies submission forms are printed in batches that are sequential within themselves, and from these are derived the certification numbers.