• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's A More Valuable Proof Error Coin?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

@errorist. You've got seven, count 'em! Morbidly Obese letters between 5 and 7 o' clock on your reverse and you want to talk about a hairline die crack at 9:00?!

On 7/31/2021 at 7:15 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@errorist. You've got seven, count 'em! Morbidly Obese letters between 5 and 7 o' clock on your reverse and you want to talk about a hairline die crack at 9:00?!

Let's talk about all defects.. :)

@errorist As much as I would like to, I can't.  My Cousin Vinny is looking over my shoulder and to some extent he and I (I believe) do not ascribe any significance to hits, runs and errors.  I personally think some are interesting but that does not make them more valuable.

On 7/31/2021 at 8:45 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@errorist As much as I would like to, I can't.  My Cousin Vinny is looking over my shoulder and to some extent he and I (I believe) do not ascribe any significance to hits, runs and errors.  I personally think some are interesting but that does not make them more valuable.

You like fat letters?

@errorist Not particularly. They lack old-time definition. But they are unusual and that's what makes them special unless, of course, my perception here was distorted by a photographic effect.

On 7/31/2021 at 9:21 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

@errorist Not particularly. They lack old-time definition. But they are unusual and that's what makes them special unless, of course, my perception here was distorted by a photographic effect.

How about the no S ?

A die crack  would likely be more desirable to a variety/error collector, while the the No-S coin would also be sought after by Roosevelt set collectors and registry participants. There are only a dozen or so known to exist, as far as I can remember, so the price would probably run $10k to $30K, depending on condition. I don't see a die crack reaching that price level.

Edited by Just Bob

On 8/1/2021 at 11:14 AM, Just Bob said:

A die crack  would likely be more desirable to a variety/error collector, while the the No-S coin would also be sought after by Roosevelt set collectors and registry participants. There are only a dozen or so known to exist, as far as I can remember, so the price would probably run $10k to $30K, depending on condition. I don't see a die crack reaching that price level.

Only 1 die crack example I have seen over the 20 years. The die crack proof my be more rare.

On 8/1/2021 at 5:01 PM, Errorists said:

Only 1 die crack example I have seen over the 20 years. The die crack proof my be more rare.

Rare does NOT EQUAL more sought. At the tiniest scale, every coin is unique, therefore equally rare with all others. What counts is demand, not supply.

On 8/1/2021 at 5:01 PM, Errorists said:

Possibly, but rarity does not always translate to higher price. There has to be demand for the coin, as well. There are many coins and tokens a few of which are known to exist which sell for much less than the No-S dime. There have to be enough interested collectors to run the price up through competition.

On 8/1/2021 at 5:46 PM, Just Bob said:

Possibly, but rarity does not always translate to higher price. There has to be demand for the coin, as well. There are many coins and tokens a few of which are known to exist which sell for much less than the No-S dime. There have to be enough interested collectors to run the price up through competition.

Could be so rare no one knows about it.. It took me 21 years to find out about this one..

Edited by Errorists

On 8/8/2021 at 9:58 AM, Errorists said:

Could be so rare no one knows about it.. It took me 21 years to find out about this one..

Then no one wants one. Die cracks are a niche area, without much of a following.

A missing mint mark on a proof die = significant. ^^

Die crack on a proof coin = meh.  zzz

Granted, minor errors like die cracks are much scarcer on proof issues because of the slow throughput and increased opportunity for detection, and It probably warrants a modest premium, trying to compare the desirability to a missing mm doesn't cut it.

FWIW, I do like your coin.

Edited by Oldhoopster

On 8/8/2021 at 1:11 PM, Oldhoopster said:

A missing mint mark on a proof die = significant. ^^

Die crack on a proof coin = meh.  zzz

Granted, minor errors like die cracks are much scarcer on proof issues because of the slow throughput and increased opportunity for detection, and It probably warrants a modest premium, trying to compare the desirability to a missing mm doesn't cut it.

FWIW, I do like your coin.

More rare then the missing mint mark?

On 8/8/2021 at 12:17 PM, VKurtB said:

Then no one wants one. Die cracks are a niche area, without much of a following.

Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing the sensation of circumferential reasoning at work here. That's a spectacular leap there somehow citing lack of want without much of a following while accepting lack of knowledge.  How can there be interest, much less demand about something, no one even knows exists?  🤔  If this keeps up, I'm off to Tristan da Cunha -- but not before checking if any of my Roosters have er, uh, die defects. I am with the Mighty @Conder101 on this one. A missing mint mark trumps a die disorder any day of the week.

(No, he di-int!)  Yes, I just did.  🐓

It would be rarer, but it would not have any additional premium value.  Unless you can find an error collector who NEEDS a No S proof dime with a die crack.

Rare doesn't necessarily mean valuable.  I have a couple of unique pieces that I paid $50 apiece for.  I have another that was unique until a second piece turned up a few years ago.  That one cost me less than $200.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:53 PM, Conder101 said:

It would be rarer, but it would not have any additional premium value.  Unless you can find an error collector who NEEDS a No S proof dime with a die crack.

Rare doesn't necessarily mean valuable.  I have a couple of unique pieces that I paid $50 apiece for.  I have another that was unique until a second piece turned up a few years ago.  That one cost me less than $200.

It would be like looking for the needle in the haystack squared.. Hence the value should be cubed..

Edited by Errorists

On 8/11/2021 at 2:53 PM, Conder101 said:

Rare doesn't necessarily mean valuable.  

Except in the rarefied atmosphere of the Twilight Zone where Madison Avenue steps in to stimulate the salivaries thereby creating the demand for a product the public never knew they needed... Nice racket!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing

The problem is, collectors who NEED a No S dime with a die crack are even rarer than the coin would be.  That's why there would be no additional premium.  Supply and demand comes into play again, you have the supply, but there is no extra demand so no increase in value.

Edited by Conder101

On 8/11/2021 at 2:29 PM, Conder101 said:

The problem is, collectors who NEED a No S dime with a die crack are ever rarer than the coin would be.

Would the same go for a 1968 double struck no S proof dime?

Edited by Errorists

Yes, a error collector who would NEED such a coin would still be rarer than the coin, but you would now have the additional problem that some collectors who would want a No S dime would back off because they wouldn't want a double struck one.  So now the overall demand would decrease and cause the value to go down, not up.  This is the problem with Keys that have errors.  They tend to be white elephants.  The error drives off collectors who would want the Key but don't want it with an error, but it doesn't attract error collectors because they can find the same error (which is what they are interested in) on common coins at a much lower cost.  So unless they are putting together a date and mint set all with an error, or the same error type, they have no interest.  So rare date/keys with errors are often worth LESS than the same coins without the error.

On 8/11/2021 at 3:17 PM, Conder101 said:

Yes, a error collector who would NEED such a coin would still be rarer than the coin, but you would now have the additional problem that some collectors who would want a No S dime would back off because they wouldn't want a double struck one.  So now the overall demand would decrease and cause the value to go down, not up.  This is the problem with Keys that have errors.  They tend to be white elephants.  The error drives off collectors who would want the Key but don't want it with an error, but it doesn't attract error collectors because they can find the same error (which is what they are interested in) on common coins at a much lower cost.  So unless they are putting together a date and mint set all with an error, or the same error type, they have no interest.  So rare date/keys with errors are often worth LESS than the same coins without the error.

I'd like the more rare one..

On 8/11/2021 at 11:17 PM, Errorists said:

I want a no S with a die crack.. :)

Too late to change orders. Demand quickly outpaced supply and the window of opportunity closed in a matter of minutes. Better luck next time.  :)