• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identification NEEDED - Set of 1838 Centimes - REP ET CANT DE GENEVE POST TENEBRAS LUX - Possibly Patterns

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me identify this group of coins.  They were in a collection from a guy who collected from 1920-1930's in North Carolina.  He passed away a long time ago, and his writing on the envelopes is all I have.  Each coin is listed as a 1838 Geneva Pattern.  Below are the pictures of each piece.  1 centime, 2 centime, 5 centime, and then 2 - 10 centimes.  One is a thick planchet and the other is a thin.  So far what I have been able to find is that they are Canton of Geneva in the Swiss Confederation (1815-1848), REP ET CANT DE GENEVE POST TENEBRAS LUX.  I think.....

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3400.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3395.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

Not going to be much help other than confirm that they do appear to be pattern coins. Some are these listed in the Krause catalog, but not all. However, Krause is woefully bad when it comes to patterns. There probably is a catalog on Swiss coins where these are listed, but I don't know what it is. 

I couldn't find any sale records of them. Gut feeling is that they are probably work a couple hundred each. 

Contact Marcel Haberling (https://www.swisscoin.ch/) and he may be able to help. He's a reputable and very nice Swiss dealer.