• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it okay to ask for grade and value opinion?
1 1

53 posts in this topic

Yes here they are. These are better than before. I believe they show pretty good detail. I’ll never get them perfect which is why I suggest using the iPhone video.

Here is what I am needing some help with. None of these have really circulated. If anything it’s handling. That’s why I hope these images help otherwise we have a big show coming here soon. I’ll just hold them for that. 

A3E1EAB5-AB4B-4C2E-98D8-B908CAF1B50B.jpeg

63D545F0-3191-44EF-8E69-21FDB2DC1800.jpeg

F0C0EBC0-9445-47D0-ADD3-C2C6DFB47100.jpeg

73395244-E775-45BA-B443-6CF0E5AF53C7.jpeg

This is it. This is one coin with multiple images for a clear look. It’s pretty sweet. Original luster no tonight or carbon spots. This is my favorite coin but it’s for sale I need help with value. I have no problem calling it BU.

7D6C4DF0-CD5E-49A1-AD8E-C433AD570057.jpeg

A1290A2A-62C7-4CD6-9996-AEFBC291DAA0.jpeg

DA03B733-3DAD-4EC6-BD0C-6880A5570387.jpeg

3EA57936-791A-4E42-B042-BB0A7D20547A.jpeg

Edited by Brian Lavin

On 7/17/2021 at 10:04 PM, Brian Lavin said:

This is it

27166E9C-E52C-4A8A-8105-266F2FEFFEFF.jpeg

7D6C4DF0-CD5E-49A1-AD8E-C433AD570057.jpeg

A1290A2A-62C7-4CD6-9996-AEFBC291DAA0.jpeg

You got something mixed up. Two 3 cent nickel reverse and a bust half reverse. 

Almost.

I am looking for paper money and I really want a 1900’s $1 if anyone wants to discuss trade.

If someone wants to step up and make a fair offer for all of them I will be open to it. I’m hoping for some help. Seems we got zips in the wire so we may have to clear out the woods a little so we have more area open for defense. Usually they back off if you hit the ignore button so I will do that. I’ll save my claymores for something other than rodents.

Thank you gentleman.

EE4D230E-47A4-46BE-9385-C10F5D6AC162.jpeg

69C26CBF-86C3-4183-AD13-5D0ACEBBE093.jpeg

Edited by Brian Lavin

Can you slow down? Post one coin front and back per post? It’s the only way anyone can keep the coin straight with the correct obverse and reverse

You have some nice coins. Nothing to the extent of a nice 1916-D merc. Nonetheless I doubt seriously if anyone is going to make you much of an offer on any of it via pictures. They need to be pro level photos for anyone to even consider it. Like Kurt asked if you want to share where you live generally someone may be close to give you a proper appraisal of the coins in hand. These suggestions on here are general guidance and anyone willing to shell out top dollar for coins will want to hold them or they be slabbed. 

On 7/17/2021 at 7:42 PM, Brian Lavin said:

Bob so basically you are accusing me of attempting fraud right? Is this correct or am

I misunderstanding you. Can you clearly answer this question?

Yes, I can clearly answer your question. A key date coin, like your 1916D, is a prime candidate for counterfeiting. As Kurt said, there are thousands of them out there.  A careful buyer would most likely want to either see the coin in person, or have it authenticated by a reputable third party. I was not stating or implying that YOUR coin was counterfeit. I was referring to key date coins in general. Neither was I accusing you of attempting fraud. 

Clear enough? :)

New England. It used to be Afghanistan. I like it here. I am well trained. I would like to sell my collections. I just sold 14 45 cal semi auto pistols. Nicest weapons you have ever seen. I just keep a dual action shotgun close by. It’s a one way ticket into my house if someone wants what I own they will either get it or they will get it. I would like to be honest and sell my coins raw. Bye if you do get an AU sell it back to me. I’ll promise you that it will not stay in an AU holder. All of the gem coins have had work done to them. The metal is so soft you can scratch it with your fingernail. Coin dealers love AU coins. In the crack out game that’s where the money is. Someone like me will have a coin graded without touching it. Because it is 100% original l they fix me up. Resubmit and Buddy bing $$$.
These are nice coins. They are 100% original like the little tiny surface scratch. Probably did it removing it from the dam holder. That coin will either have a knucklehead grade it AU or spend a few dollars and get the golden ring. 
I’ll fix this thread up in the morning. 

Edited by Brian Lavin

Coins in that caliber are better off being slabbed and graded with authentication makes much easier to sell makes the buyer comfortable buying as well know it been authenticated , it will also sell for premium more than if it was raw if you want to make the most money off of what you have and if your patience send the coins in have them graded in end you’ll make way more money that way having them graded and sold properly 

You can get good pictures with a basic IPhone about 3-4 feet near a window using natural light . Stack some books up with camera just over the edge about 4”-5” above coin use zoom on your phone to get the coin to fill up on your phone screen shoot a picture then crop picture makes the coin look a little bigger save it post pictures on here … it’s better than magnifying glass that’s you are using 

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 7/18/2021 at 12:03 AM, Brian Lavin said:

New England. It used to be Afghanistan. I like it here. I am well trained. I would like to sell my collections. I just sold 14 45 cal semi auto pistols. Nicest weapons you have ever seen. I just keep a dual action shotgun close by. It’s a one way ticket into my house if someone wants what I own they will either get it or they will get it. I would like to be honest and sell my coins raw. Bye if you do get an AU sell it back to me. I’ll promise you that it will not stay in an AU holder. All of the gem coins have had work done to them. The metal is so soft you can scratch it with your fingernail. Coin dealers love AU coins. In the crack out game that’s where the money is. Someone like me will have a coin graded without touching it. Because it is 100% original l they fix me up. Resubmit and Buddy bing $$$.
These are nice coins. They are 100% original like the little tiny surface scratch. Probably did it removing it from the dam holder. That coin will either have a knucklehead grade it AU or spend a few dollars and get the golden ring. 
I’ll fix this thread up in the morning. 

Good luck with them. This knucklehead is out. 

On 7/18/2021 at 12:00 AM, Just Bob said:

Yes, I can clearly answer your question. A key date coin, like your 1916D, is a prime candidate for counterfeiting. As Kurt said, there are thousands of them out there.  A careful buyer would most likely want to either see the coin in person, or have it authenticated by a reputable third party. I was not stating or implying that YOUR coin was counterfeit. I was referring to key date coins in general. Neither was I accusing you of attempting fraud. 

Clear enough? :)

No it’s not clear enough. The word counterfeit has no business on this thread and I don’t really appreciate that you came here to with the sole intention of putting that idea in someone’s head. You even mentioned that something looked “funny” about my coin. Well there is nothing funny about it as far as I am concerned and frankly I am insulted. 
CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND?

Selling counterfeit coin as genuine like the coins I am selling would be an act of multiple federal crimes. Wire fraud, mail fraud and various other felonies. I don’t deserve those implications. I’ve come here to sell my coins with hood intention. Yes they are currently being offered raw many would grade 65 or better, especially if they were taken through the coin hospital and the legitimate services used. I’m 

On 7/21/2021 at 12:19 AM, Brian Lavin said:

No it’s not clear enough. The word counterfeit has no business on this thread and I don’t really appreciate that you came here to with the sole intention of putting that idea in someone’s head. You even mentioned that something looked “funny” about my coin. Well there is nothing funny about it as far as I am concerned and frankly I am insulted. 
CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND?

Selling counterfeit coin as genuine like the coins I am selling would be an act of multiple federal crimes. Wire fraud, mail fraud and various other felonies. I don’t deserve those implications. I’ve come here to sell my coins with hood intention. Yes they are currently being offered raw many would grade 65 or better, especially if they were taken through the coin hospital and the legitimate services used. I’m 

There was absolutely nothing wrong or accusatory in what Jut Bob posted. I and just about anyone with common sense would agree with his comments. I have copied them below and suggest you read it again with an open mind and without being defensive.

"Yes, I can clearly answer your question. A key date coin, like your 1916D, is a prime candidate for counterfeiting. As Kurt said, there are thousands of them out there.  A careful buyer would most likely want to either see the coin in person, or have it authenticated by a reputable third party. I was not stating or implying that YOUR coin was counterfeit. I was referring to key date coins in general. Neither was I accusing you of attempting fraud. 

Clear enough? "

On 7/21/2021 at 1:19 AM, Brian Lavin said:

If you're insulted then get off the internet.  Quit being cheap, looking for answers for free, on the internet.  Pay to  have them appraised.  If you don't like what  Bob says, go somewhere else.  Your sense of entitlement and pomposity is staggering.    

On 7/17/2021 at 11:14 PM, Woods020 said:

These suggestions on here are general guidance and anyone willing to shell out top dollar for coins will want to hold them or they be slabbed. 

Not necessarily.  I may be a confirmed chiffonier and rank amateur but my entire compilation was accomplished blindly.  🐓

I’m the cheapest you’ll ever meet.

No 1916D dime for sale here anyway. I got no problem getting off the internet. I think that’s a good suggestion. I’ll look at it as a suggestion. 

On 7/21/2021 at 12:19 AM, Brian Lavin said:

You even mentioned that something looked “funny” about my coin. Well there is nothing funny about it as far as I am concerned and frankly I am insulted. 

Before you go, would you mind pointing me to the thread in which I said that something looked "funny" about your coin? I have been back through this thread, your other 3 threads, and all of my posts for the last two months, and I can't seem to find it. Thanks. ;)

On 7/22/2021 at 12:37 AM, Brian Lavin said:

I’m the cheapest you’ll ever meet.

Wait a minute. I grew up in Reading, PA. There are depths of “cheap” there that haven’t been plumbed yet.

@Just Bob  the consummate gentleman if ever there was one.  After sufficient investigation taking the time and trouble to review his comments with an open mind, he will announce his findings with a neutral tone, and place the ball back in the other member's court.  Every well-meaning member should emulate his fine example. 🐓 🐓 🐓 🐓 🐓