• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Die marks

19 posts in this topic

So if you have examined a coin and the die marks match at over 300 points but the coin is not on the right kind of planchette. Why wouldn’t they look at the die marks? The coin is made with the dies not the planchettes. I have pictures of all the marks and I own the set but it’s like hitting a brick wall telling people. If the coin matches so many markers,why won’t people accept the facts starring at them straight in the face. Or is the real reason is the money. Big money don’t want there high dollar coins depreciating cause there’s more than they want. 

2 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

So, what coin are we talking about here?

I'm also wondering what matching at 300 points means, and what a die mark is.

And if a coin is struck on the wrong planchet/ blank that's usually a super rare and valuable error...

I'm guessing they have a coin that's rare and valuable and people are telling them it's fake.

No haven’t been told it’s fake. I have been searching proof/ms sets for years and awhile back I got in a group of sets that was unopened and weird. So I looked at the coins closer and found a 1964 Kennedy sms on a silver coin. It has the hanging Chad is what I’ve called it. It has the extra metal on the I b and most people don’t know about the extra metal on the l in dollar. Well now the cats out of the bag. I have the penny dime quarter and nickel as well. It was the set. But to check it out I opened the set to examine it closer. Also I’ve never Sean details on the edge of the rim like this either 

1ED62211-8845-4A62-B05C-48D2A71C05B0.jpeg

24A42B0F-C13F-422E-9123-48F35B116A71.jpeg

15F75D99-7B78-4B99-A150-4C107B055CEC.jpeg

Coin facts shows 3 examples of this alleged coin and just by die marks this coin matches in over 300 die marks or strike whatever wording you want to use. The second example or third is the ones we matched die marks off of

5 hours ago, Revenant said:

and what a die mark is

Whenever I've seen mention of a die marker it's in relation to the small striations left behind after a die is re-polished to extend life.  OP did provide some pics of some of them on the coin he has which is helpful but then it's a whole other level of investigation to try to track down known die markers for a year.  It's not my area of expertise at all, but I imagine it's easier on older coinage where less dies were used to meet demand.

3 minutes ago, Crawtomatic said:

Whenever I've seen mention of a die marker it's in relation to the small striations left behind after a die is re-polished to extend life.  OP did provide some pics of some of them on the coin he has which is helpful but then it's a whole other level of investigation to try to track down known die markers for a year.  It's not my area of expertise at all, but I imagine it's easier on older coinage where less dies were used to meet demand.

Yeah. Makes sense. I've heard of and seen die cracks and "die polish lines" but "die marks," especially with that post, just seemed so generic. It makes more sense now.

I'm not familiar with these so I'm not much help here other than to suggest you post pics of the entire coin, front and back, making sure they are oriented correctly some of your pics above are upside down/ sideways, that makes it more difficult to identify.

Since you referenced CoinFacts I'll assume you read the description in which they mention a lack of contact marks, no reflective surfaces, square/sharp rims, die polishing lines throughout, sharp strike and a raised defect located at the crosslet of the 4. I wouldn't worry about the 300 markers I'd focus on these six items first. 

6 hours ago, Midwest Dozer said:

found a 1964 Kennedy sms on a silver coin.

Weren't all the 64's on 90% silver planchets?

16 hours ago, Midwest Dozer said:

So if you have examined a coin and the die marks match at over 300 points but the coin is not on the right kind of planchette. Why wouldn’t they look at the die marks? The coin is made with the dies not the planchettes. I have pictures of all the marks and I own the set but it’s like hitting a brick wall telling people. If the coin matches so many markers,why won’t people accept the facts starring at them straight in the face. Or is the real reason is the money. Big money don’t want there high dollar coins depreciating cause there’s more than they want. 

So you submitted the coin and it didn't come back as expected?

No I haven’t submitted it yet. And the six markers they mentioned is all correct except  one. The finish of the coin. This looks to be stamped on a 90% silver planchette.  The ones that I’ve seen on their site looks more like a clad. All of the other marks match. The markers I’m talking about being the (300) part. Well that’s the die scratching or die impressing markers. I think NGC came across one of the the same style a long time ago. I asked them for the update on that and they never sent it to me. This is a coin set you want to have graded in person. Not shipped around. Their isn’t but a few of these examples exist. So just popping them in the mail isn’t what I want to do 

On 7/15/2021 at 8:23 AM, Midwest Dozer said:

No I haven’t submitted it yet. And the six markers they mentioned is all correct except  one. The finish of the coin. This looks to be stamped on a 90% silver planchette.  The ones that I’ve seen on their site looks more like a clad. All of the other marks match. The markers I’m talking about being the (300) part. Well that’s the die scratching or die impressing markers. I think NGC came across one of the the same style a long time ago. I asked them for the update on that and they never sent it to me. This is a coin set you want to have graded in person. Not shipped around. Their isn’t but a few of these examples exist. So just popping them in the mail isn’t what I want to do 

I pretty sure they were struck on 90% silver planchets, so that's another box checked.

If you want to get some expert opinions you can post pics of the obv, rev and a close up of the 4 in the US, World and Ancient section of the Forum. Their are some very knowledgeable individuals here that could help you out.

Compare those pictures to the second image PCGS has for coin facts about the coin even the I has the extra metal on the edge corner of the I. If you look close at the word dollar one of the L’s has some extra metal as well. Most people don’t know that cause you have to have a microscope to see it

Again I would start a new thread in the U.S. Coin Forum and post pics of the whole coin obverse and reverse, to get some more opinions. 

I only have one more comment about this coin and that is it has more dings than I would have expected as these were supposedly specially handled. I'm pretty skeptical that this is a Special Strike.

Good Luck.

Numismatic author Roger Burdette states that these "SMS" coins were not specially made coins, but were early strikes from fresh dies. If that is the case, then the dies were likely later used to coin normal business strikes, and coins from these dies would then be found in circulation or in regular mint sets.

In any case, if you send these coins to NGC for authentication and attribution, Mr. David Lange, research director at NGC, will be the one who looks at them. He is a member of this chat board, and can be reached by PM. If I were in your shoes, I would first orient all of my pictures to show the letters and numerals right side up, so that he does not have turn turn his head to compare your photos with known examples, and then send him a PM with a link to this thread.