• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unusual strike on 2004 $1 American Eagle coin. Anyone know what happened with this?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I found this on a BU 2004 $1 American Eagle Silver Dollar. I initially thought it was a "die clash" but it appears that it is more of a gouge/indentation.

Also, the depressing of the top of the letters in America line up with the "scratch".

The scoring at the top of the letters begin at the end of the letter M and continues through to the C.

I took close-up with a few different lighting angles.  Does anyone know what happened here? Could this be a double strike?

Thanks in advance for any info.

PICA0015.jpg

PICA0014.jpg

PICA0011.jpg

PICA0010.jpg

2222PICA0007.jpg

Welcome to the Forum

Looks like a scratch. Whatever scratched it also damaged the top of the letters. PMD

Return it if you can. Right now it is only worth bullion.

Nice photos by the way.

Looks like damage from a rolling/sorting/counting machine or some similar device, does not appear in this photo to have happened during the minting process.

3 hours ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum

Looks like a scratch. Whatever scratched it also damaged the top of the letters. PMD

Return it if you can. Right now it is only worth bullion.

Nice photos by the way.

Thanks for the answer and the photo compliment. Actually, pics were made with a TOMLOV Digital Microscope. It is a new toy.

And they were taken the same day that I posted the question. Just now learned how to set the correct date on the thing. Duh.

2 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

Looks like damage from a rolling/sorting/counting machine or some similar device, does not appear in this photo to have happened during the minting process.

I should have included a full sized pic of the obverse and reverse of the coin. No other damage or scarring of any kind.

Even the rim looks pristine. That being said, I think you are probably correct with the sorting/rolling machine idea. I have had this one since 2004

and honestly have no idea how I came by it. Mint tube roll; bulk American Eagle purchase on eBay in 2004; individual coin at coin show. 

Could have been any of them. Thanks for the response.