• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1896-0 Morgan silver dollar theoretical vaue inquiry

7 posts in this topic

So, the issue I am having with determining the value of this coin is the evident toning that has agiven this coin the exquisite patina it has acquire

d. I am just at a loss when it comes to the whole "tone" aspect of grading. Any insight into the grade and value of this gem is much appreciated!!

~Thanks in

Screenshot_20210705-081800_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210705-081749_Chrome.jpg

There's toning and there is "attractive" toning, this coin is not attractively toned, at least not in a way that brings in a premium. I don't know much about Morgan's but what I see is a well circulated coin. Someone will let you know if it is a key date or a sought after VAM.

Red book 2021 1896o. VF-20 $42 EF-40 $45 AU-50 $125.  Coin world 03-21.   Vf-$38 EF $45. AU $115.  I’m ok with stats but grade ?  Used  maybe cleaned?  I really like it I’ve got a 1896 plain in old school anacs holder. Thanks for post. Welcome 

Probably VF-30 depending on the definition of "a few feathers" and "wear on edges of cotton leaves." I agree that the toning is not attractive and would not add value. Can't tell about cleaning, but it's a distinct possibility.

Textbook VF30 that might bump up to VF35 on a good day, the toning is not attractive but not all that unusual for this date/mm/grade and it does look to have been cleaned long ago.  I know a dealer that  has a PCGS VF35 listed for $75 right now, and there is an ANACS VF35 listed on eBay for $55.  So I would put the value of your raw coin at $35 to $40 max, certainly if you look around on eBay or Etsy you can find other coins like yours with much higher asking prices but not finding many (if any) buyers at inflated prices. 

2 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I would put the value of your raw coin at $35 to $40 max

Yep.

PS: There's no "exquisite patina" on that coin; it's just dull from wear, etc.

Edited by RWB