• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue Book Pricing
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Hi all , I'm always looking to better my odds and it is tough coin market out there nowadays. Some of the old timers are saying not to hold true on to the lookup prices from NGC or PCGS as their listings are a bit high? So should I just take a percentage off when shopping to be safe. Obviously most dealers price by the Gray sheet magazine and everyone has to make a living, but that is a bit pricy to have . So when I am out shopping I always look up on my phone the prices on the NGC page or the PCGS page for comparison it is just so much easier ? So the question is should I pick up a Blue book also it seams kinda silly because prices change daily nowadays. Just wanted to see what you all thought. 

Good morning and happy fourth.  I use eBay sold prices and for fun I add numismatic news with coin world and top it off with  red book. eBay and such are my go to. Can’t budget greysheet as I’m a small collector and don’t sell. Anyway I just am confused most of the time and try to buy what I like because I screw up all the time and my associate and partner cat🙀loves to point out this fact! 🤓

I only use NGC/PCGS price guide for graded coins as reference I like PCGS sometimes because they show auction prices for some of graded coins that have sold it shows prices scattered for a range of coins in different grades I narrow it down a lot time I only deal online with “best offers” on coins a lot dealers are workable some of them don’t mention they accept “best offers” but it doesn’t hurt to ask . Another place is heritage auctions and few others gives you better idea what people are paying . Is buying the price book practical when we have power of internet to google whatever we want ? 

Greysheet is nice it doesn’t do you much good as the “buyer” the Greysheet is for what a dealer buys coins at wholesale on a spread it gives you an idea what a dealer should or would pay for your coins if you were to sell to dealer only 

Edited by Jason Abshier

JP,

Blue book and blue sheet are prices dealers are willing to pay to buy your coin. You won’t be able to buy coins very often at these prices. If you want to forego Greysheet which I completely understand your best bet is sold prices. eBay has an easy way just google ebay sold listing search and you can find it that way. You can also look on the auction houses to see. PCGS also offers a sold price lookup and here is the link. 

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices

1 hour ago, Jason Abshier said:

I only use NGC/PCGS price guide for graded coins as reference I like PCGS sometimes because they show auction prices for some of graded coins that have sold it shows prices scattered for a range of coins in different grades I narrow it down a lot time I only deal online with “best offers” on coins a lot dealers are workable some of them don’t mention they accept “best offers” but it doesn’t hurt to ask . Another place is heritage auctions and few others gives you better idea what people are paying . Is buying the price book practical when we have power of internet to google whatever we want ? 

Greysheet is nice it doesn’t do you much good as the “buyer” the Greysheet is for what a dealer buys coins at wholesale on a spread it gives you an idea what a dealer should or would pay for your coins if you were to sell to dealer only 

No dealers won’t pay grey sheet. They pay blue or less. Greysheet is retail pricing. Now not every coin will follow by this. Some ugly coins will go less than average and beautiful ones more. It’s an average but Greysheet isn’t what dealers will pay. 

As a collector only and one that does not buy very many coins paying for the grey/blue sheets would not be a useful use of funds.  By reading this forum and the PCGS forum I am able to see what the market trend as a whole is doing.  When I want to buy a specific coin from a dealer I use the PCGS auction tool that @Woods020 linked earlier, the CAC buy price, and GC auction results to set the floor, I then use the eBay sold listings and the NGC/PCGS price guides to set the high retail range.   I then target about 80% less of the high retail (eBay) and 20% above avg auction results as the sweet spot for my buy pricing.   Of course its more complex than it sounds as you have to take into account things like toning that may spike an auction price way out of the norm, the absence or presence of CAC, or a couple of crazy bidders that got into a bidding war and the quality of the item you are looking to buy.   I will also check Collectors Corner to see what is being offered for sale in that venue, it helps to get an idea of price and availability.  This works very well for slabbed coins but is less effective for raw coins but can still be of use, if I'm looking at a raw coin I can still use these metrics but I adjust down knowing that slabbing costs are usually around $50ish per coin.

However I seldom buy from a dealer anymore, most of my buys are from the marketplace/BST sections of the NGC and PCGS forums, and auctions.  I still use the tools I noted above to help with finding a price level that I feel is correct and then attempt to buy at or very close to that, I will if I really want the coin stretch some but it has to be very special or difficult to find.

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

Greysheet is retail pricing

I always though Greysheet was wholesale sight seen coins certified , bluesheet  was for sight “unseen” wholesale both raw and certified Coins either one was no where near yearly posted retail values . I guess I was wrong 

a fun way to watch crazy bidding is to find 3-4 items due to end around midnight eastern. What we lovingly refer to as drunk “I’ll show you “ bidding lately it’s been Morgan’s and peace dollars and ase’s (especially toned) :roflmao:  not trying to judge just always on the lookout for a chuckle           This is especially true on Friday and Saturday night 🍺🥃

Edited by James Zyskowski

4 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

I then target about 80% less of the high retail

80% ? Really I have see that to believe it if a coin is worth $200 (retail value) you want to only buy for $40 ?  

8 minutes ago, Jason Abshier said:

80% ? Really I have see that to believe it if a coin is worth $200 (retail value) you want to only buy for $40 ?  

Pretty sure he meant he targets to pay 80% of retail. I think that’s a number a lot of people would quote. Unless it’s a once in a lifetime or has amazing eye appeal. So your $200 coin he would set a target buy or not to exceed price of $160. 

Edited by Woods020

23 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

Pretty sure he meant he targets to pay 80% of retail. I think that’s a number a lot of people would quote. Unless it’s a once in a lifetime or has amazing eye appeal. So your $200 coin he would set a target buy or not to exceed price of $160. 

I was about to hire him , leave my coin list with him he would be able to get them all for me at 80% off . I almost believed my dreams came true 🤣

7 hours ago, Woods020 said:

lol Yep @Woods020 is correct I meant 80% of retail, hands were typing faster than the brain was going. ;)

7 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

lol Yep @Woods020 is correct I meant 80% of retail, hands were typing faster than the brain was going. ;)

That makes me feel better:whatthe: all my purchase's of special or slab coins have been in that range or lower so far. But then again most of the stuff I have is not worth huge moneylol 

Edited by J P Mashoke

@Woods020 I asked yesterday if Greysheet was wholesale bid for dealer sight seen slabbed coins . Blue sheet is also whole sale bid as sight unseen for lower end slabbed value coins and raw coins . I haven’t seen a Greysheet for years but last time I looked it was always Bid and ask prices among dealer to dealer only at wholesale prices perhaps it may have changed over the years that I’m not aware of it’s more retail priced? I noticed the prices where never near retail prices that you and I would pay to buy a coin from a dealer but it been about 10 years since I looked at the Greysheet

4 hours ago, Jason Abshier said:

@Woods020 I asked yesterday if Greysheet was wholesale bid for dealer sight seen slabbed coins . Blue sheet is also whole sale bid as sight unseen for lower end slabbed value coins and raw coins . I haven’t seen a Greysheet for years but last time I looked it was always Bid and ask prices among dealer to dealer only at wholesale prices perhaps it may have changed over the years that I’m not aware of it’s more retail priced? I noticed the prices where never near retail prices that you and I would pay to buy a coin from a dealer but it been about 10 years since I looked at the Greysheet

I think that was the initial intent, but it’s far from it. I’ve actually found that Greysheet will most of the time get you right in that sweet spot several have mentioned at roughly 80% of retail that most of us try to buy at. No dealer anywhere will pay Greysheet unless it’s got something special in eye appeal. They usually pay more blue book or 50% of retail. It all depends. 

Here is a prime example. I have bought several coins from Northeast Numismatics recently (highly recommend them by the way). This is a listing for a dime of theirs I saw recently and am debating on. You will notice their asking price is below Greysheet. Not always the case but on average I’ve found if I buy at Greysheet it’s about perfect. The last coin show I went to a month ago I went from table to table and if I asked a price without a single fail they pulled out the Greysheet and quoted the price. 

48B5D10D-FA54-43A6-BD43-4FD40139B5CA.jpeg

1 minute ago, Alex in PA. said:

Very nice Dime.  (thumbsu

I’ve debated on that thing for a few weeks. It’s a little darker than I would prefer, which is why I have hesitated. 

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

I have bought several coins from Northeast Numismatics recently (highly recommend them by the way).

I’ve dealt with them in the past , I’ve also sold a bunch of coins to them for their inventory about 16 years ago if I recall it was long while back. Also bought a lot high graded old world Coins and few gold coins off them over the years they are easy to work and haggle with on prices they are motivated dealer that doesn’t turn down offers 

Edited by Jason Abshier