• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stripes
1 1

44 posts in this topic

It almost looks as if it was in contact with something in storage that caused the lines. Could be some type of adhesive gunk. I wonder if you gave it an acetone soak if they would disappear. 

3 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

It almost looks as if it was in contact with something in storage that caused the lines. Could be some type of adhesive gunk. I wonder if you gave it an acetone soak if they would disappear. 

If you’re going to try the dip don’t be afraid to ask about procedures and things to be careful about while doing so. Wait I just did:roflmao:

7 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Just waiting on someone else to say it. 

Just now, James Zyskowski said:

If you’re going to try the dip don’t be afraid to ask about procedures and things to be careful about while doing so. Wait I just did:roflmao:

Dipping is generally a different chemical than acetone. Acetone soak in and of itself won’t alter the coin. Dipping in a harsher chemical will impact the coin surfaces. If it’s a quick dip that is quickly neutralized it may be ok, but prolonged or repeated dips are evident. Simply soaking in acetone and rinsing in distilled water once removed is a non-destructive way of removing some things. 

Honestly I did not even consider doing that dipping is the doping it Because when I zoom in close on it they  Didn't appear to be on the surface.

I’ll be honest I won’t say it’s anything for sure. There are several reasons and theories of why some coins have stripes or linear toning. I’ve read things from improper alloy mixture to roller marks with abrasive grit on them. This one just looks like some sort of contamination on the surface but I can’t say anything for sure. 

13 minutes ago, James Zyskowski said:

Do you think maybe some one stuck in in a book?  I got to admit it could be from the Dead Sea coin scrolls. Sure does look like writing ;)

Maybe, (shrug), but I would think it would be tough for the ink to transfer so evenly over the devices, fields and rim. IDK?

Sometimes trying to figure out exactly what happened is a fools errand. The major thing to know is did it leave the mint that way, or did something happen to it after the mint? Anything that results from action after it left the mint is post mint damage (PMD). I’m fairly certain this was caused after it left the mint but we may never know exactly what happened. Once you learn the full minting process always think could this have plausibly happened during that process? If no it’s damage. 

17 minutes ago, Patman54 said:

After dipping coin. No change just cleaner 

Picture_20215703095711.jpg

Picture_20215803095849.jpg

Picture_20210003100027.jpg

Picture_20210303100331.jpg

I honestly have no clue. It also appears to be in the planchet and not in the lettering. Do the letters/numbers on the coin have the lines or do they seem to go under it? 

Did you dip it or soak in acetone?

Edited by Woods020

1 hour ago, Patman54 said:

A coin with an alien worm

Screenshot_20210703-195743_Gallery.jpg

This one I do know what happened. Heat damage. It was exposed to high heat/fire and it bubbled. These come across quite often. 

It looks like they go over it but in a couple areas under But I would say mostly over. I think I can just chalk it up as Strange Or Coin with racing stripes.