• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1930 Great Britain Half penny - is it a Proof?

7 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

What would lead you to think so?

The oins I have in similar dates are brown.  The color and luster of this coin is much more "shiny and new" 

I jknow that's lame but I don't have any idea where to start by looking at it to know 

Early proofs can sometimes be difficult to discern because of toning. But shiny and new aren’t what to look for. Proofs should exhibit mirror like fields (flat portions), sharp details, and well defined rims. Sometimes they will exhibit frosting on the devices (raised portion). The best way to learn is to look at a proof you have versus the same coin in business strike. Once you see the difference this will make more sense. 

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

Op, did you do any research to find out (or perhaps knew already) if proofs were coined for this type and year?

Uh oh. Ze can of ze worms, she is now open, no? Yes.  

Here is a link to the NGC page for the MS and Proof strikes for this year. The rims are sharper, and the details are generally more pronounced on the proof example. A bit of intense study should make you familiar with the differences.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/search/1/?country=GREAT+BRITAIN&region=All+Regions&denom=1%2f2+Penny&date=1930&catalogInitials=&catalogNumber=