• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2010-P Mount Hood Quarter "Steam"
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I don't know what to actually call this but I'm going to say steam. Mount Hood is still active but sleeping and steam coming out in different pockets of the mountain. I actually caught this at the right angle of the coin in hand. Then did some close ups for everyone to see. Interesting peice . My question is , could this be a blister bubble in the die. Just asking for sure what this might be. Thanks 

20210618_122950.jpg

20210618_123353.jpg

20210618_123758.jpg

20210618_123917.jpg

Edited by Hinkle
P mint mark instead of D

Kind of fun you posted that because I was just driving toward that sight about an hour ago. A major highway through my area aims right at it for a stretch and on a sunny day it's an uplifting sight. Not aware, however, of any volcanism currently happening there. (Hope it doesn't.)

11 minutes ago, JKK said:

Kind of fun you posted that because I was just driving toward that sight about an hour ago. A major highway through my area aims right at it for a stretch and on a sunny day it's an uplifting sight. Not aware, however, of any volcanism currently happening there. (Hope it doesn't.)

It is a beautiful site, I used to live in Wasco county and other little towns around it. Had to drive around and through Mount hood town to get to Portland. I lived in Oregon for 18 years. My kids were born and raised in Oregon. I read on a site that the volcano is still active but sleeping. If it does erupt it's supposed to be a bad one. Hope it doesn't neither. 

5 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

It is a beautiful site, I used to live in Wasco county and other little towns around it. Had to drive around and through Mount hood town to get to Portland. I lived in Oregon for 18 years. My kids were born and raised in Oregon. I read on a site that the volcano is still active but sleeping. If it does erupt it's supposed to be a bad one. Hope it doesn't neither. 

Never been there myself. My dad worked in Portland a few years ago. He came home with green hair and an ear ring. :roflmao: Also a few new tattoos. 

13 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

I would assume it’s a die chip that occurred at the edge of the mountain device. 

Thanks Woods, wasn't really sure. Pretty unique though. 

40 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

Thanks Woods, wasn't really sure. Pretty unique though. 

I wouldn’t swear to it so curious about other opinions. I just think it’s a likely culprit and it seems like the edge of that rounded mountain would be an area of the die that gets some stress. 

1 hour ago, Hinkle said:

Heh. I remember playing football at Maupin (coolest team mascot ever, the Wasco County Redsides) and against Wahtonka, long ago. (Also at Moro, and baseball at Dufur and Cascade Locks.) I was in my college years during the Rajneesh thing. I never expected to end up on this side of the river, but there are a lot worse places to live than Portland's western burbs (which are some of the burbiest burbs one could imagine).

Since you know the area, you'll recognize that the view I'm talking about is in the distance from OR-8 (Tualatin Valley Highway) looking east. Gorgeous design, aiming the road right at Hood.

Edited by JKK

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

Never been there myself. My dad worked in Portland a few years ago. He came home with green hair and an ear ring. :roflmao: Also a few new tattoos. 

Only a few? Guess he didn't stay all that long, heh.

Just now, JKK said:

Only a few? Guess he didn't stay all that long, heh.

He was there about 3 weeks. They say that place is bad about corrupting a person. :roflmao:I could only imagine I'd he'd stayed a couple months. 

Just now, Hoghead515 said:

He was there about 3 weeks. They say that place is bad about corrupting a person. :roflmao:I could only imagine I'd he'd stayed a couple months. 

He'd bleed marionberry juice.

38 minutes ago, JKK said:

Heh. I remember playing football at Maupin (coolest team mascot ever, the Wasco County Redsides) and against Wahtonka, long ago. (Also at Moro, and baseball at Dufur and Cascade Locks.) I was in my college years during the Rajneesh thing. I never expected to end up on this side of the river, but there are a lot worse places to live than Portland's western burbs (which are some of the burbiest burbs one could imagine).

Since you know the area, you'll recognize that the view I'm talking about is in the distance from OR-8 (Tualatin Valley Highway) looking east. Gorgeous design, aiming the road right at Hood.

Yeah, my brother played football for maupin. That's funny I worked on the Rajneesh camp. I heard alot of story's and his people still camping out on there. It's now a huge Christian camp. I used to live in and own couple places in shaniko off the 99, A town of 18 .it was easy to get to the camp were I lived. Yes looking east from that highway don't remember it much but if that's the same highway I've been on,  then yeah I know what you're talking about, beautiful look at hood. And there's also a beautiful waterfall on 80 or is it 84 can't remember , it's along the Columbia river. 

I meant highway 97 not 99. I guess we lose some memory fast when you don't live in the state for some time. doh!

22 minutes ago, Hinkle said:

Yeah, my brother played football for maupin. That's funny I worked on the Rajneesh camp. I heard alot of story's and his people still camping out on there. It's now a huge Christian camp. I used to live in and own couple places in shaniko off the 99, A town of 18 .it was easy to get to the camp were I lived. Yes looking east from that highway don't remember it much but if that's the same highway I've been on,  then yeah I know what you're talking about, beautiful look at hood. And there's also a beautiful waterfall on 80 or is it 84 can't remember , it's along the Columbia river. 

Depending on his age, he and I might have crossed swords on the football field. Those corn-fed Oregon farm boys could hit pretty good. The bioattack poisoned one guy I really respected. Yeah, nowadays it's a religious youth camp. Shaniko is even smaller than Antelope. The waterfall you're thinking of is Multnomah Falls. Other than impossible parking, it's still a wonder.