• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1880-O worth submitting for grading?

13 posts in this topic

I have never submitted a coin for grading but was beginning to consider this one, especially since higher grades for this coin seem to be more valuable. 

After comparing this to other Morgan dollars I have that NGC has graded as MS63, I was initially thinking that it could have potentially graded a bit higher (maybe even PL) than that as it seems to have a little less wear on the higher points and with the shine maybe even be prooflike. However, it does have significantly more scratches, and I am guessing from someone's cleaning attempt, so that seems to negate all of that.

So my questions are, do those scratches seem to represent a cleaning attempt? If so, if it had not been cleaned, any opinions as to how it might grade if submitted would be helpful for future reference and my own education. If that was a cleaning, then is it correct to assume it is pointless to submit for grading? Also, any suggestions on valuation?

Thanks again for any input on this. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Jeremy,

It is impossible to tell you a lot from those pictures. Just looking at contact marks it’s probably MS 64/65. However based on the lighting it’s not possible to see luster or finer scratches. It may have been cleaned but these pictures won’t show it. Long story short you need correctly lighted pictures for anyone to tell you anything reliably. 

Welcome Jeremy. I agree with Woods020 if you can show a better shot maybe on a bit of a angle it may show more luster and the scratches you mentioned. 

This is a prime example of a tale of two coins based on pictures. These pictures show a lot of contact marks. They still don’t allow a clear view of the coin. If you want to just take very simple pictures front and back with your cell phone and crop them close it will work great. 

based on these pictures no it would not we worth grading. This coin is MS 61 at the highest it appears. So roughly $50 if that is the case. It may be circulated I just can’t see the obverse well enough. It may also be cleaned based on lines behind the hair but can’t say for sure. 

The only reason I say a clear picture of the obverse is that there is a DDO of this coin. Slight chance but it would be worth significantly more. 

Thanks for the input. Hopefully these help more. I was trying to make sure the marks were clear before rather than a head on shot. It seems pretty clear it is a lesser grade than I initially thought. To clarify though, if the marks (or what may have been a cleaning) were not involved, are the details then more consistent with a 64-65?

Thanks again!

20210618_184916.jpg

20210618_184935.jpg

It’s been very harshly cleaned. With sandpaper it appears haha. Sans cleaning I can’t say. Look at something like PCGS photograde or look at graded Morgans sold at auction houses. You’ll start to get a feel for how many bag marks equal roughly what grade. This one I can’t tell what was bag marks and what was abrasive cleaning so it’s impossible to tell the what if grade had it not been cleaned. 

2 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

It’s been very harshly cleaned. With sandpaper it appears haha. Sans cleaning I can’t say. Look at something like PCGS photograde or look at graded Morgans sold at auction houses. You’ll start to get a feel for how many bag marks equal roughly what grade. This one I can’t tell what was bag marks and what was abrasive cleaning so it’s impossible to tell the what if grade had it not been cleaned. 

Thanks so much for your input! I have had several questions about specific coins that I have acquired the last couple months and now that I am logging them all in CoinManage rather than the spreadsheet I was keeping I have been revisiting those and just came across the forum. Regarding this one though I was coming to realize the rough cleaning likelihood and will look out for that better in the future. 

I got my photo setup from Ray and practicing with a few pictures.... though I am still practicing and I have not done anything with the photo software yet... I feel these are much better representations of the coin.... I am guessing all will still say it has been cleaned... but what grade might you all attribute to this other than that?

00000001.JPG