• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok another graded Q 1976 1c PCGS MS66RD

11 posts in this topic

I would think if you send a coin in to be graded by the top 3 grading services like PCGS, NGC, and ANACS,  they would or should label as a DDO or if they see any other Errors/Variety. There pretty good at spotting stuff on coin's. I'm a newbie also, I'm still learning just like the rest of us. Hope this was any help Good luck hunting. 

1 minute ago, Hinkle said:

I would think if you send a coin in to be graded by the top 3 grading services like PCGS, NGC, and ANACS,  they would or should label as a DDO or if they see any other Errors/Variety. There pretty good at spotting stuff on coin's. I'm a newbie also, I'm still learning just like the rest of us. Hope this was any help Good luck hunting. 

They will only do it if you pay the additional fee. They may see an error, but it won’t be attributed without an attribution fee and that service requested on the submission form. 

Edited by Woods020

1 hour ago, Hinkle said:

I would think if you send a coin in to be graded by the top 3 grading services like PCGS, NGC, and ANACS,  they would or should label as a DDO or if they see any other Errors/Variety.

If the coin has a well known and easily spotted DDO or variety they might list it.  If it isn't well known or is not obvious they aren't going to list it unless it is on their list, you tell them what it is, and pay the extra fees.  If it isn't on their list they will most likely not list it even if you tell them what it is and pay the fees.

They are NOT going to go looking for a minor DDO or variety just in case one might be there.

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

If the coin has a well known and easily spotted DDO or variety they might list it.  If it isn't well known or is not obvious they aren't going to list it unless it is on their list, you tell them what it is, and pay the extra fees.  If it isn't on their list they will most likely not list it even if you tell them what it is and pay the fees.

They are NOT going to go looking for a minor DDO or variety just in case one might be there.

This!!   If you had a 55/55 the main 72/72 or another very well known and obvious DDO/DDR the TPG's will usually note those even without the variety service.   But small minor DDO/DDR's, RPM's, VAM's, missing initials, and other types of minor stuff you need to pay extra for.

The coin in your photos looks to have some die deterioration doubling.

Edited by Coinbuf

Yet it was indicated repeatedly that it was not quite as thoughtful as it should have been in that I had paid for them,,,

Q:  How could you be a professional grader and miss anything, minor or not?  

1 hour ago, Kevine84 said:

Yet it was indicated repeatedly that it was not quite as thoughtful as it should have been in that I had paid for them,,,

It’s not that they miss them. It’s that variety attribution is an additional service and not included in the base grading fee except in rare exceptions. When you submit for grading there will be a variety service you can choose. You then pay a fee ($15 I think at both but not sure). Then they will look for variety. If it has one it will be noted. If not then obviously they won’t. But if there isn’t a variety they recognize you don’t get the fee back. That’s why it’s important to make sure you have true variety and that the grading service you use recognizes it. 

10 hours ago, Kevine84 said:

How could you be a professional grader and miss anything, minor or not?  

If your speaking of variety tier during grading , I believe they have may have a knowledgeable grader who knows more about variety coins and error coins . The other typical graders grade the average typical coins , they may also grade your coin that you think is a variety . At the end they probably land on grader’s desk who is more experienced at looking at error coins to determine if it’s really a variety or error or not that’s why you probably pay and extra fee they have to do extra leg work look up the type of variety . 

13 hours ago, Kevine84 said:

For the simple reason that for the most part they are GRADERS, they are tasked to grade the coin, not look for tiny varieties.  Secondly there are just so many known varieties that you can't know everything and so you have to take time to research with references and that takes more time than they can afford to do.  And that doesn't take into account the thousands more unlisted minor varieties. So obvious well known varieties get listed and minor ones don't.

Edited by Conder101

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I am NGC's attributor of USA coin varieties, and I see no doubling on that 1976 cent.

By going to NGC's VarietyPlus website you will see a complete listing of the varieties attributed by NGC. Each denotes whether a fee is required for attribution. As a general rule, the major varieties illustrated in the Red Book are attributed automatically by the graders. These includes coins such as the 1955 and 1972 DDO cents, the 1918/7-D and 1937-D 3-legged nickels, the 1942/41 and 1942/41-D dimes, etc.

The vast majority of listings at the VP website do require the $15 fee, because of the extra time and expertise needed to identify these varieties. The graders will not be looking for these at all, so they must be routed to the attributor by selecting VP service. The same concept applies to mint errors, which also require a $15 attribution fee.

The graders don't "miss" these fee varieties and errors; it is simply not their job to look for them.