• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1836 half dime mixed variety?

8 posts in this topic

Everything I have found show the 1836 half dime has two major varieties, a large 5C and a small 5C. After looking at this numerous times and comparing it to pictures of the two varieties, I conclude that this has a large 5 and a small C. Any agreement or disagreement would be appreciated, and also any opinion as to whether that would make this coin more valuable if it is a rarity. 

I have seen that PCGS lists a few die varieties but I have not figured out how to discover exactly what those minor varieties are.

Thanks in advance for any input!

20210617_151441.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It appears to have strike doubling on much of the reverse, creating the illusion of a duplicated Large 5C.

15 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Looks like LM-6. Obverse die 4 and Reverse die JJ.

Thank you so much! That appears to be it, and I am sure now that I know that variety resource is there I am sure it will be helpful in the future.

Now, does that possibly add some sort of premium (whether minor or significant) to its value or what I may be able to sell it for? Though there are obvious scratches on the obverse, the pictures actually do not do it justice because it looks much better than those even under 15x magnification.