• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1923S Peace Dollar

14 posts in this topic

Hi, I’m new to coin collecting and inherited this gem from my late aunt. It’s hasn’t been in circulation the past 50 years or longer. It has a obverse error. Is it worth having it graded? Any information would be appreciated. 

9393DB84-A540-4CFB-BB02-3A8717DEC94E.jpeg

C24B7500-1D34-4D82-9D47-E849FC685320.jpeg

Edited by Eleanore8
Edited description

1 hour ago, Eleanore8 said:

Again, I’m new! I’m not sure where to post, just looking for information. 

I know. Just helping smooth the process for you. It would be a headache for you to manage multiple accounts when one is ample, and I was thinking of how some of the coin posting guidelines might be interpreted (maybe my WYNTK needs clarification).

The photo shows an EF to AU grade coin with some scratches. Not worth the cost of "grading," but a nice keeper or start to a Peace dollar collection. What is the "obvious error" you mentioned?

Thank you so much :) The error I'm seeing is on the obverse right side which begins at the Y and goes into the TRVST. 

Edited by Eleanore8

I kind of wonder: is it normal on authentic Peaces for the legend to have some alignment issues? The O in GOD seems low, and the V in TRVST seems high. I'm not a Peace expert, but that kind of production issue is historically common on counterfeits. Not saying it is, just musing.

I have some coins I inherited myself.  Those weren't going to be worth the cost to be graded by NGC or PCGS but because of the sentimental value to me I still sent some of them off for grading but to ANACS.  They have occasional specials making it cheap enough to do with free return shipping.  My preference is NGC (the majority of my coins) then PCGS but never ICG.  Otherwise when I have a coin not worth grading at all I just put it in a Direct Fit Air-Tite and appreciate it that way.  If by chance the photo isn't doing your coin justice and you're not getting the feedback on here you're looking for take it to a reputable coin dealer in your area who can see it in person and give their thoughts on any possible error.

Thank you very much ;) The coin is beautiful & still has all its shine. I enlarged it to show the imperfections which also takes away the shine. I believe the error could be making the V look high. I did have it looked at and it came back Super Fine with a V strike error. If it was worth it, I wanted to have it graded by NGC as they’re one of the best :) If it isn’t, I’m going to do what MN1 suggested and keep it protected and continue to treasure it. 

The O in God is correct for this Peace Dollar. It looks like it has some abrasion in the Trust area. Where the U(V) and the S appear to be affected. I don’t think it was a mint made issue because part of the V seems to be missing. I looked at the VAMs and I don’t see anything like this listed. 

I agree I think the real value is sentimental. 

When you say you had it looked at, by whom? If they told you super fine I probably wouldn’t trust their opinion. Super Fine isn’t a grade name that is used. Very Fine or Extremely Fine maybe? And I don’t know what they would mean from a V strike error. I’m curious who this was. 

It was online at valuemystuff which is why I’m here now. I was uncomfortable with their certification. 

Sorry it WAS listed as Very Fine (Super Fine 🤦🏻‍♀️) and a weak strike through the V.

I’ll try and get a better picture of the strike tomorrow. It’s rather long and goes from the Y in Liberty down through the VST in trvst. Also, if you look on the reverse side, you can see the same weak strike going through America and down toward the R In Dollar.  

I also looked at the VAM’s and didn’t see the error listed. The thing I do know is the coin has been in my possession for 30 years and prior to that, it was in my Aunts possession. She was in her 60’s when she passed away 30 years ago. 

Edited by Eleanore8

Look on-line for another 1923-S dollar and compare photos. There are no significant motto varieties, unless the uneven letter depth of 1926 is considered. There might be some die collapse along the right obverse, but the coin does not have the appearance of a counterfeit.