• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Lincoln, Need some help please, possible Lamination Defect or defective planchant

5 posts in this topic

Hello to all.  It has been awhile since I posted on the "Newbie" forum but thought this may get more attention than elsewhere.  I sincerely hope all of you have been doing well. I have come a very long way in my learning about numismatics, varieties and errors predominantly due to those helpful members here on the NGC forum that spurned me along the way and gave me a host of information that I truly learned from, THANK YOU!  I have also been diligent in doing my own research and learning from the plethora of information on the web as well (which everyone should do......).  

I came across this one tonight and was a bit perplexed as to what caused this and/or 'how it did not happen at the Mint'.  I thought this may possibly be some type of a LAMINATION defect. I am extremely familiar with PMD and would not have posted this if I thought it was (but then again I have been wrong many a time :bigsmile:).  At first glance I almost threw it aside as an acid wash job until I examined it further.  I have seen my fair share of acid wash jobs, road rash, PMD, etc..... but this one seemed different upon further inspection especially when I looked at the reverse which is pretty much spotless.  It seems to me that an acid job would not leave the devices as prominent as they are. What first caught my attention on the obverse was LIBERTY and how RTY was still perfectly intact and visible albeit lower in the field. The I in IN is plainly visible as well. Then I noticed the neck and back of the coat on Linc was still perfectly visible and defined. Another observation is that the rim is completely intact other than some PMD on the rim adjacent to LIBERTY but it does not appear that a foreign substance has affected the rim at all.  This one has seen a lot of miles no doubt and has some gunk build-up.  I was going to do an acetone wash on it but I wanted to post it 'AS IS' for your opinion first.  Just not sure about this one. Whatever the verdict is I will no doubt learn from it.  As always, thank you all for your input. 

Image 6-7-21 at 1.06 AM.jpg

Image 6-7-21 at 1.15 AM.jpg

Edited by GBrad

It looks like environmental corrosion. I live near the ocean and all metal around here rusts fast . Copper and brass are what everyone uses for there outside lights if possible because it holds up longer but it to will corrode in the salt air and turn green and the green corrosion eats copper the best. 

Thank you all for the replies. I just wasn't sure on this one especially with the reverse in as good of shape as it is (relatively speaking). Case closed. (thumbsu