• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Connecticut copper
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I ended up getting this copper in and noticed the slab says 1786 and the coin says 1787. Is this a mistake that is made often. It's not a great example of a coin but I'm very happy to own something that old that is historical. They have a wonderful story behind them. Sorry I didn't get a very good picture. They keep turning out blurry. Polish_20210605_174752972.thumb.jpg.ca9831853f74bef92812f3498fd42dd4.jpgPolish_20210605_174819731.thumb.jpg.5d76cddb20e3a5725655755727eb44fa.jpg

It's a nice CT copper.  Somebody should be able to look up the Maris attribution (I won't have access to my books for about a week, or I would see if I could ID it for you). 

I wouldn't worry about the labeling mistake.  I'm sure if you contact NGC, they would reholder it, but you may get stuck with postage.

I love stuff like this because when I try to attribute it, I end up learning something about the the series and the history of the time period which makes me dig deeper and learn more

It might be a good start for a budget Colonial type set.   (I know, too many interesting collecting topics, not enough time and money.  That's the story of my collecting life)

Edit to add

You may have a modestly priced coin, but the knowledge you'll gain from digging into the history is extremely valuable, IMO.  Coins come and go, but the knowledge stays with you.

Edited by Oldhoopster

6 hours ago, Oldhoopster said:

It's a nice CT copper.  Somebody should be able to look up the Maris attribution (I won't have access to my books for about a week, or I would see if I could ID it for you). 

I wouldn't worry about the labeling mistake.  I'm sure if you contact NGC, they would reholder it, but you may get stuck with postage.

I love stuff like this because when I try to attribute it, I end up learning something about the the series and the history of the time period which makes me dig deeper and learn more

It might be a good start for a budget Colonial type set.   (I know, too many interesting collecting topics, not enough time and money.  That's the story of my collecting life)

Edit to add

You may have a modestly priced coin, but the knowledge you'll gain from digging into the history is extremely valuable, IMO.  Coins come and go, but the knowledge stays with you.

Thank you my friend. I enjoy reading on things like this. I will definitely just keep it in this holder. And definitely excited to learn more about them  

I think it is Miller 31.1-gg.1 [Maris is for New Jersey coppers]  I have to go to work shortly, may be able to spend some time with it later if no one else does to be sure.  Looked at it some more and made a correction, I believe 31.1-gg.1 is correct.  Nice coin.

Edited by l.cutler

8 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

If the label is wrong NGC will correct it at no charge but you do have to pay for shipping to NGC. Awesome addition to the collection my friend! :golfclap:

I'll probably just leave it as it is. I'll probably never sell it or anything. I'll keep it in my collection as a mis labeled coin. 

2 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I'll probably just leave it as it is.

I have an 1861 $2 1/2 Dollar gold piece PCGS mislabel as a $1.00.  Had it a long time and I ain't gonna change it.  Makes the coin a little bit more interesting.

PS:  Nice looking Colonial.  :golfclap:

Edited by Alex in PA.

2 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

I have an 1861 $2 1/2 Dollar gold piece PCGS mislabel as a $1.00.  Had it a long time and I ain't gonna change it.  Makes the coin a little bit more interesting.

That's what I was a thinking. There's probably a small number of collectors who look for things like that. It's definitely interesting.