• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unusual way to earn a medal for yourself.

7 posts in this topic

So he can search an area the size of a tennis court in 20 minutes, and in 5 years he has found 71 landmines, a little over 1 per month.  And they estimate there are over 6 million landmines still buried.

Edited by Conder101

Someone check my math. 6m sounds like a huge number. I'm getting 85 mines per square mile. I get about 4 square miles covered by Magawa in 5 years with a normal US workers schedule. Surely mines are concentrated in certain parts of Cambodia, so figure maybe 170 mines per square mile on the those areas. Assuming Magawa worked in the areas of greatest concern. he should have discovered about 10 times the number of mines. I'm still willing to make a donation if the correct number of mines is closer to 600,000. And yes I'm a little bored today. 

@LINCOLNMAN With all due respect to Magawa, and his special talent, there has to be better ways to fight fires than using eye droppers.  Every country in the world ought to make a single donation of their time, money and resources to conduct complimentary carpet-bombings of the mine-laden areas beginning with the country that put them there in the first place.  No 🏅 🏅 🏅  for community service.