• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40,000 fakes intercepted

51 posts in this topic

Los Angeles. Fake Morgan and Peace dollars plus ASE’s and quarter eagles. No respite. Only going to get worse 

If it’s popular, it WILL BE faked into oblivion. China, it’s what they do. 

Edited by VKurtB

8 minutes ago, RWB said:

Source?

Numismatic News. You remember them, right? Old media. Kind of. 

Edited by VKurtB

17 minutes ago, gmarguli said:

Damn, now what am I going to sell on Etsy?

The only thing more in seemingly infinite supply than fake coins is the rubes who will buy it (and then come here and gush over them). Unless perhaps the guys selling it who want to know EXACTLY how we know it’s fake. 🙄

Edited by VKurtB

16 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

Simple, time to break out the eze-bake oven and make some rainbow toners.   And if all else fails just dig around in your loose change, your sure to come across several very valuable doubled die coins.  :roflmao:(:

Or "double dead"? The May 25 (cover date) Numismatic News has a story of a 8-year-old kid who found a bronze 1983 cent, so it can happen. But most people have no idea how probability works. In the time since the last one was found, several dozen or even hundreds of people have hit $1MM+ lottery tickets.

Edited by VKurtB

What is your special formula dip going to remove or improve?   And what kind of metals does this work on, will it leave copper a pink color?

3 hours ago, VKurtB said:

If it’s popular, it WILL BE faked into oblivion. China, it’s what they do. 

Not just popular, but also common or common as dirt.  It's a lot more profitable to fake a (very) large number of moderately priced coins than a (much) lower number or a handful or scarcer and/or more expensive ones.

There is limited profit in faking most coins, including those I collect.

28 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

Not just popular, but also common or common as dirt.  It's a lot more profitable to fake a (very) large number of moderately priced coins than a (much) lower number or a handful or scarcer and/or more expensive ones.

There is limited profit in faking most coins, including those I collect.

That’s because the Chinese counterfeiters may never have seen your choice of stuff. 

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

What is your special formula dip going to remove or improve?   And what kind of metals does this work on, will it leave copper a pink color?

It is intended to GENTLY remove unwanted toning from silver coins ONLY. I have tried it on proof cents. Not a good experience. They’re interesting, but not normal.

It does NOT damage coins like EZest does and it’s something that works so smoothly that you can “pull” coins early for intermediate effects. 

Edited by VKurtB

1 minute ago, Coinbuf said:

Well I guess I won't have to worry about booking my travel, at least not for this anyway.  ;)

What could be better than the Broadmoor at the tail end of ski season?

13 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

What could be better than the Broadmoor at the tail end of ski season?

No clue, never been there I don't ski or like snow.

55 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

That’s because the Chinese counterfeiters may never have seen your choice of stuff. 

They know the pillar design.  It circulated over there.  The Mexico pillar dollar is one of the more counterfeited coins.

I presume professional counterfeiters treat it like any other business, at least to a point.  It's much easier and more profitable to produce large numbers of fakes for the coins you listed, common US key dates, and some ancients than anything I collect, whether they know it exists or not. 

A 1916-D VG dime sells for more than all but a very low number of coins (less than 10) I have ever bought.  Somewhere over $1000.  Or any others like it.  It's a very common coin where a noticeable number could (and to my knowledge have) been sold without the buyer being aware of it, until years later if ever.  I have heard there are potentially more fakes than real ones.

Nothing like this will ever happen for what I collect, where the numbers matter to a counterfeiter.

Recently, I compiled a list I know exist in my series that I would like to buy: from the TPG populations, auction catalogs and my reference books.  67 total coins for 49 different date/mint combinations.  More out there but it isn't many.

A few on this list would be worth counterfeiting as singles but mostly. not worth the effort.  Sure, I could be fooled into buying one or a few at nominal prices. Anything more than a minimal number showing up in any close proximity would be noticed.  The coins just do not show up, except in isolation.

I wouldn't buy a coin at any meaningful price from an unknown source where I have never heard of one like it.

12 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

They know the pillar design.  It circulated over there.  The Mexico pillar dollar is one of the more counterfeited coins.

I presume professional counterfeiters treat it like any other business, at least to a point.  It's much easier and more profitable to produce large numbers of fakes for the coins you listed, common US key dates, and some ancients than anything I collect, whether they know it exists or not. 

A 1916-D VG dime sells for more than all but a very low number of coins (less than 10) I have ever bought.  Somewhere over $1000.  Or any others like it.  It's a very common coin where a noticeable number could (and to my knowledge have) been sold without the buyer being aware of it, until years later if ever.  I have heard there are potentially more fakes than real ones.

Nothing like this will ever happen for what I collect, where the numbers matter to a counterfeiter.

Recently, I compiled a list I know exist in my series that I would like to buy: from the TPG populations, auction catalogs and my reference books.  67 total coins for 49 different date/mint combinations.  More out there but it isn't many.

A few on this list would be worth counterfeiting as singles but mostly. not worth the effort.  Sure, I could be fooled into buying one or a few at nominal prices. Anything more than a minimal number showing up in any close proximity would be noticed.  The coins just do not show up, except in isolation.

I wouldn't buy a coin at any meaningful price from an unknown source where I have never heard of one like it.

Counterfeiting only economically works when lots of people are possible customers. 

Edited by VKurtB

5 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Numismatic News. You remember them, right? Old media. Kind of. 

No. real source with details.

Make plans now to be at the ANA National Money Show next March in Colorado Springs. I will be giving my next talk, "A Kinder Gentler Coin Dip", and doing LIVE DEMONSTRATION of it, and inviting attendees to bring THEIR candidates, too. I will not allow anyone to try a coin that I feel will not be helped by a dip in the stuff. The formula is a modification of an Eastman Kodak formula. I've made dozens of batches, but this will be the first time I use it live on stage with a camera running. I'll be shopping around at Rosemont for ideal candidate coins for that talk.

If Rosemont or Illinois insists, I'll wear a mask. If they don't, I won't, I had my second Pfizer/BioNTech jab on 22 April. I'm pretty sure American Airlines might insist. 1.5 hour flight. Big Whoop, right?

I was on an AA flight last week that went back to the gate and kicked off a fellow sitting across from me in first class for not wearing his mask properly. They aren’t messing around. Didn’t help he was already drunk either I suppose. 

18 minutes ago, RWB said:

No. real source with details.

It's the top story on their site, Roger. It's all there. Lee Minshull was their paid hand expert determining the stuff was counterfeit.

Edited by VKurtB

6 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

I was on an AA flight last week that went back to the gate and kicked off a fellow sitting across from me in first class for not wearing his mask properly. They aren’t messing around. Didn’t help he was already drunk either I suppose. 

Maybe he needed to go for the trifecta - mask, booze, and harassing the crew.

Make plans now to be at the ANA National Money Show next March in Colorado Springs. I will be giving my next talk, "A Kinder Gentler Coin Dip", and doing LIVE DEMONSTRATION of it, and inviting attendees to bring THEIR candidates, too. I will not allow anyone to try a coin that I feel will not be helped by a dip in the stuff. The formula is a modification of an Eastman Kodak formula. I've made dozens of batches, but this will be the first time I use it live on stage with a camera running. I'll be shopping around at Rosemont for ideal candidate coins for that talk.

If Rosemont or Illinois insists, I'll wear a mask. If they don't, I won't, I had my second Pfizer/BioNTech jab on 22 April. I'm pretty sure American Airlines might insist. 1.5 hour flight. Big Whoop, right?

I am tentatively planning on attending that event and will look forward to the demo. As much as I gave you in the other post I’m happy to see this. I do think you could pass along a lot of knowledge should you want. I’ll try to bring some dirty silver if I do come so you have volunteers for sure. 

28 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

I am tentatively planning on attending that event and will look forward to the demo. As much as I gave you in the other post I’m happy to see this. I do think you could pass along a lot of knowledge should you want. I’ll try to bring some dirty silver if I do come so you have volunteers for sure. 

I never mind being taken to task and I don’t hold grudges. “Be a goldfish.” I hope you know that Ted Lasso reference. 

32 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

I need to find a cheaper lodging option than the Broadmoor. ¡Ay caramba!

10 minutes ago, World Colonial said:

Yes, exactly.  You summarized my long winded post.

LOL! That's one way to describe what I did for a living for 13 years - take long winded complicated facts and boil them down to what an elected official can remember. The KISS principle. But then they STILL get it only half right. doh!

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I need to find a cheaper lodging option than the Broadmoor. ¡Ay caramba!

Unless they have changed managers/owners recently, don't stay at the Motel 6 on I-25. We passed through there late at night several years ago, and stopped at this motel, thinking we would get a little sleep on the cheap. The place was so nasty that we stripped the sheets off the beds, got blankets and pillows from the car, and slept in our clothes.

3 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Unless they have changed managers/owners recently, don't stay at the Motel 6 on I-25. We passed through there late at night several years ago, and stopped at this motel, thinking we would get a little sleep on the cheap. The place was so nasty that we stripped the sheets off the beds, got blankets and pillows from the car, and slept in our clothes.

I’ve had a similar experience at a recent spring ANA near Dallas. Brought home a nasty bed bug infestation. I wonder what the Spirit Airlines cargo hold looked like.

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/4/2021 at 6:09 PM, Coinbuf said:

No clue, never been there I don't ski or like snow.

I love any snow I don’t have to shovel. Plus if it’s open, I need to drive Pikes Peak again. 

Edited by VKurtB