• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Washington Quarter
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I have had this quarter for a few years now. Trying to research it and find out if it is a mint error, or something someone has done to it. On the side it has a thin layer that is sticking out further than the rest. Uniform all the way around it. I wouldn't think an individual would be able to do this. And the highest point on the face of the coin is Washington's hair!! You can't tell what year it is or anything. I'm hoping that I'm sitting on something valuable.. can anyone helped out?

1621968991748280833722511967066.jpg

16219690903525898195161303996815.jpg

1621969168285434746354530736402.jpg

16219692026566916914424733095236.jpg

11 minutes ago, CalvinTyler said:

I wouldn't think an individual would be able to do this.

Incorrect.

Agree.  This couldn't happen during the minting process.  The raised edge is due to displaced metal from whatever grinding method was used on the coin after it left the mint.  Sorry, but it's not an error

It 's not an error. 

You can't have a  a rim only on one side without it being altered somehow.

In this case it has been intentionally ground down , have seen this before.

It was ground all the way around the obv with the grinding being don in an outward fashion toward the edge.  This cause the metal to be displaced outwardly resulting the the extra "lip" extending out past the reeded edge.

8 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

While rather cool this is just damage.

As most purported errors are, especially here and on CT. 

Given the fact that we have seen several examples of this kind of damage fairly recently, I wonder if this is not the result of the coins being caught in some kind of machine - similar to a "dryer coin."

Notice that the cheek and hair are worn smooth, without the grinder marks.

Edited by Just Bob

We might not ever know exactly what happened or why, but the fact that it could not occur during the striking of the coin is all that is required to say that it is PMD

21 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Another 'newbie' - another coin.  :whistle:

I heard that that was the original opening line to the Blackfoot hit "Highway Song." Unfortunately, they couldn't find an appropriate word to rhyme with "coin," so they changed it to "Another day - another dollar."