• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bulk Submissions?

28 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I believe that I know the answer to this question but hope that I’m wrong.

Are bulk submissions specifically for many of the same coin or does it also include just a high number of coins of various types etc.

I have approx. 2K coins that need to be graded/slabbed. I’m thinking that I’d better buy NGC stock but alas, it is a privately owned company.

thanks for any light you can shed on this for me.

Regards,,

From the home page:

"Authorized Dealers and Elite Collectors Society members only. 100 or more of the same type."   Note that "Same Type" means the same coin, an example would be ASE's where dealers will purchase many boxes of ASE's each year and have them shipped to NGC for bulk grading.

@VKurtB I do not know if I would go that far in characterizing the size of my collection but having moved tons yourself, you would be in a better position to know.  As far as slab-worthiness, I seriously wonder if the OP has even the foggiest notion as to which are, and more importantly, the approximate cost, much less turn-around estimates.  Not every coin requires (or deserves) encapsulation.

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

The likelihood that this OP has anything NEAR 2,000 slab worthy coins is about equal to being struck by lightning twice in one day while walking in the Sahara. Not just this OP, but many many people, have no clue what makes a coin a candidate for grading - even among those who have found their way here. 

True, but that's not what he was asking.  

1 hour ago, Morpheus1967 said:

True, but that's not what he was asking.  

correct the op ques was just to clarify definition of bulk submissions...vk response was very assumptive n condescending , first of all he nor any of us know anything bout the quality or scope of op collection, also simple matter for op to have already determined cost of certifying 2k coins, maybe he did maybe he didnt, prob correct that many/most collectors dont have 2k coins that warrant cost of certification, if that is a consideration of certification, maybe they just want their coins certified for any number of reasons, resale value isnt the only consideration...i for one had to make a decision back in the '80s did i want to spend the extra money to certify all or portions of my collections, personal decision, initial cost to me excess of $6k just to cert one collection...should i decide to cert all the rest would exceed 2k coins few times over, most of which would warrant the cost, again personal decision...if one has mostly modern non-rare coins cost to cert 2k coins prob prohibitive, if on other hand if collections r 19th cent mint state coins cost to cert not so prohibitive...either way no one here has the position of assumptively asserting that anyone else's collection either warrants or doesnt warrant certification....

1 hour ago, zadok said:

correct the op ques was just to clarify definition of bulk submissions...vk response was very assumptive n condescending , first of all he nor any of us know anything bout the quality or scope of op collection, also simple matter for op to have already determined cost of certifying 2k coins, maybe he did maybe he didnt, prob correct that many/most collectors dont have 2k coins that warrant cost of certification, if that is a consideration of certification, maybe they just want their coins certified for any number of reasons, resale value isnt the only consideration...i for one had to make a decision back in the '80s did i want to spend the extra money to certify all or portions of my collections, personal decision, initial cost to me excess of $6k just to cert one collection...should i decide to cert all the rest would exceed 2k coins few times over, most of which would warrant the cost, again personal decision...if one has mostly modern non-rare coins cost to cert 2k coins prob prohibitive, if on other hand if collections r 19th cent mint state coins cost to cert not so prohibitive...either way no one here has the position of assumptively asserting that anyone else's collection either warrants or doesnt warrant certification....

If, and I'll stipulate here, that it's POSSIBLE but highly unlikely, one had a collection of 19th century mint state coins, one would be foolish to send them for grading himself, because any major auction house would not only handle the sale of such material, with its own catalog, but handle getting them graded at a better rate than any individual collector could get. Far more likely, infinitely more so, are any of the below:

1) The collection is a gathering of "errors which are not" consisting primarily of post-minting damaged coins.

2) They are routine moderns of some type that are not worth having slabbed.

3) They are material far more common than the OP imagines.

I any case, 2,000 coins would cost at LEAST about $50,000 to have graded at a reputable firm. Now maybe the OP is ready to sink that cost into the project, but I'd bet not. At any rate, a "guy" who defines himself as a "guitar guy" is far less likely than a "coin guy" to possess 2,000 slab worthy coins.

As for me, my total collection runs well into a six-figure number (well over 100,000 pieces) and MAYBE about 250-300 or so are worth being graded by NGC or those "P-guys".

Edited by VKurtB

58 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

As for me, my total collection runs well into a six-figure number (well over 100,000 pieces) 

Good lord where in the heck do you keep that many coins lol.  

4 hours ago, Morpheus1967 said:

Good lord where in the heck do you keep that many coins lol.  

Many many 2x2 file boxes, mostly. My slabbed coins are primarily in a few 50 slab NGC shipping boxes. I snag them every year from the ANA Kid’s Zone Treasure Trivia booth. They save them for me. The best of the best are in plastic NGC boxes. All but one are silver with blue graphics, but one is gold on red. 

Edited by VKurtB

7 hours ago, VKurtB said:

If, and I'll stipulate here, that it's POSSIBLE but highly unlikely, one had a collection of 19th century mint state coins, one would be foolish to send them for grading himself, because any major auction house would not only handle the sale of such material, with its own catalog, but handle getting them graded at a better rate than any individual collector could get. Far more likely, infinitely more so, are any of the below:

1) The collection is a gathering of "errors which are not" consisting primarily of post-minting damaged coins.

2) They are routine moderns of some type that are not worth having slabbed.

3) They are material far more common than the OP imagines.

I any case, 2,000 coins would cost at LEAST about $50,000 to have graded at a reputable firm. Now maybe the OP is ready to sink that cost into the project, but I'd bet not. At any rate, a "guy" who defines himself as a "guitar guy" is far less likely than a "coin guy" to possess 2,000 slab worthy coins.

As for me, my total collection runs well into a six-figure number (well over 100,000 pieces) and MAYBE about 250-300 or so are worth being graded by NGC or those "P-guys".

still assuming n still condescending but to each his own as far as opinions go....true 2k coins could cost $50k or more to certify, n most wouldnt go there but there r exceptions, as for having auction houses do the certifying at reduced fees thats only viable if one is going to sell ones collection....i chose to certify portions of my collection solely for reasons other than resale considerations, there is more to collecting than monetary considerations, sometimes its just pure ego, wanting to verify on a universal yardstick that one has the finest collection in the world for instance n sometimes it mite be just to display a certain collection in a certain manner, ive done both...n yes there r some collectors who do have complete runs of 19th century mint state coins, i have done that more than once myself n i know several others who have done the same...definitely not errors, moderns nor common coins...for example just look at one registry set of american 19th cent gold...the jlr louisiana purchase new orleans mint gold in all denominations, virtually complete in mint state...cost more to certify than most collectors collections r worth, n i am aware of several such collections...true most 2k+ coin accumulations most likely r common, modern or pocket change collections but not all....i personally could not nor would not certify all of my collection, but for varied reasons i have done so for portions of it, but not for resale considerations since i have no intentions of ever selling any of my collection...im sure qa n his rooster collection or lem n his super jefferson collection didnt consider the resale value of their collections when the decided to certify their coins, true they dont number in the 2k n their cert costs r minimal to the cost of their coins but their driving reasons to certify ill bet werent to enhance the resale value....no sense beating a dead horse, everyone has their own opinions n justifiably so....i guess if i collected 20th cent moderns n had 2k-100k coins i wouldnt consider certs either....but i certainly wouldnt assume that someone just mite want to do that...

39 minutes ago, zadok said:

still assuming n still condescending but to each his own as far as opinions go....true 2k coins could cost $50k or more to certify, n most wouldnt go there but there r exceptions, as for having auction houses do the certifying at reduced fees thats only viable if one is going to sell ones collection....i chose to certify portions of my collection solely for reasons other than resale considerations, there is more to collecting than monetary considerations, sometimes its just pure ego, wanting to verify on a universal yardstick that one has the finest collection in the world for instance n sometimes it mite be just to display a certain collection in a certain manner, ive done both...n yes there r some collectors who do have complete runs of 19th century mint state coins, i have done that more than once myself n i know several others who have done the same...definitely not errors, moderns nor common coins...for example just look at one registry set of american 19th cent gold...the jlr louisiana purchase new orleans mint gold in all denominations, virtually complete in mint state...cost more to certify than most collectors collections r worth, n i am aware of several such collections...true most 2k+ coin accumulations most likely r common, modern or pocket change collections but not all....i personally could not nor would not certify all of my collection, but for varied reasons i have done so for portions of it, but not for resale considerations since i have no intentions of ever selling any of my collection...im sure qa n his rooster collection or lem n his super jefferson collection didnt consider the resale value of their collections when the decided to certify their coins, true they dont number in the 2k n their cert costs r minimal to the cost of their coins but their driving reasons to certify ill bet werent to enhance the resale value....no sense beating a dead horse, everyone has their own opinions n justifiably so....i guess if i collected 20th cent moderns n had 2k-100k coins i wouldnt consider certs either....but i certainly wouldnt assume that someone just mite want to do that...

Yes, to each his own. I would make assumptions and draw inferences, and I do. It’s what I did for a living. Just because highly unusual situations exist, that doesn’t justify treating all situations as equally likely.

Just because one can dream up a highly unlikely scenario, it doesn’t change a trend so often repeated ad nauseam here.

A completely new person shows up and right off the bat has a sketchy question and the first place you go is “it could be legit”? Wow. What color is the sky on your planet?

Edited by VKurtB

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Yes, to each his own. I would make assumptions and draw inferences, and I do. It’s what I did for a living. Just because highly unusual situations exist, that doesn’t justify treating all situations as equally likely.

Just because one can dream up a highly unlikely scenario, it doesn’t change a trend so often repeated ad nauseam here.

A completely new person shows up and right off the bat has a sketchy question and the first place you go is “it could be legit”? Wow. What color is the sky on your planet?

blue sometimes gray......no one really cares bout what u did for a living or what i did either....totally irrelevant to op's orig inquiry....i just dont have a compulsion to think im obligated to make negative condescending comments on everything i hear or read that i take exception to, especially when i dont know anything bout the person im referencing n in this case what his coin collection mite consist of, for all i know his 2k coins mite be worth multiples of ur 100k collection or mine as well...the examples i gave u r actual facts, ur comments were scenario based....all in all its a moot issue the op received the answer to his question n thats all he asked for in the first place, not an opinion on the quality of his coins...

8 hours ago, zadok said:

blue sometimes gray......no one really cares bout what u did for a living or what i did either....totally irrelevant to op's orig inquiry....i just dont have a compulsion to think im obligated to make negative condescending comments on everything i hear or read that i take exception to, especially when i dont know anything bout the person im referencing n in this case what his coin collection mite consist of, for all i know his 2k coins mite be worth multiples of ur 100k collection or mine as well...the examples i gave u r actual facts, ur comments were scenario based....all in all its a moot issue the op received the answer to his question n thats all he asked for in the first place, not an opinion on the quality of his coins...

Just like you didn’t ask for a comment on your English language and spelling abilities, right?

Edited by VKurtB

11 hours ago, VKurtB said:

A completely new person shows up and right off the bat has a sketchy question

Call me a pessimist but I do not believe this is the first time and in past two months.  The NGC Forum has had more 'Newbies' show up in the last two months than ATS has had in years.  Are we getting popular?

8 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Just like you didn’t ask for a comment on your English language and spelling abilities, right?

absolutely...totally irrelevant n unimportant to any discussions here....

8 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Call me a pessimist but I do not believe this is the first time and in past two months.  The NGC Forum has had more 'Newbies' show up in the last two months than ATS has had in years.  Are we getting popular?

No kick back on this?  Some people on our forum don't seem to mind being made a fool of.  I submit:  Parking lot found coins being posted as 'errors'?   Coins mechanically altered being submitted as rarities and errors?  No, it can't be.  I must be missing something.

Perhaps someone can give me the 'inside' information on this phenomena, eh?

Edited by Alex in PA.
Add information

19 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

No kick back on this?  Some people on our forum don't seem to mind being made a fool of.  I submit:  Parking lot found coins being posted as 'errors'?   Coins mechanically altered being submitted as rarities and errors?  No, it can't be.  I must be missing something.

Perhaps someone can give me the 'inside' information on this phenomena, eh?

From the ANA's own website:

Oh, No It Ain’t! NCW (2)

MONEY TALKS PRESENTATION: Many people who aren’t coin collectors tend to think they’ve hit the jackpot when they find anything that looks out of the ordinary. Unfortunately, this is rarely the case, and most of these purported “rare errors” turn out to be post-mint damaged coins. This presentation offers a fun and informative look at what constitutes a genuine U.S. Mint error and teaches how to distinguish these exceptional coins from near-worthless junk. Knowing the differences may potentially bring riches, but the main goal is to help attendees become better numismatists than they were before the presentation!

Presenter: Sam Gelberd

When: June 3, 2021 | 10-11:00 AM MDT

ela blue registration button

You can even register for it from this link right here, but most probably won't. They'd rather believe some random YouTube jockey than an ANA talk. /smh

Honestly, many people here need a WHOLE BUNCH MORE ANA, and a WHOLE BUNCH LESS YOUTUBE!

Edited by VKurtB

6 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

when they find anything that looks out of the ordinary

And these past two months I've seen enough 'out of the ordinary' to last a life time.  :ohnoez:

Edited by Alex in PA.

3 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

And these past two months I've seen enough 'out of the ordinary' to last a life time.  :ohnoez:

For me, it's the past 58 years. I've been collecting that long. Far too many people fall into the "this coin looks different; must be an error" trap. Almost none of 'em actually are.

Well, it just seems to me that an awful lot of 'error' folks have shown up for one post and then disappeared.  Covid boredom perhaps?

3 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Well, it just seems to me that an awful lot of 'error' folks have shown up for one post and then disappeared.  Covid boredom perhaps?

One of them thar "long term effects". I suppose. It's exposure to some kind of pathogen. Might be COVID, or it might just be YouTube.

Edited by VKurtB

22 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

The thought has occurred to me that the Forum is a whole lot better at times without me on it. Obsolescence, plain and simple.

43 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

the Forum is a whole lot better at times without me on it.

Nonsense.  Everyone is welcome here.  The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.  As for obsolescence one of my grandchildren mistook me for for a reptile.   I believe the term he used was 'Dinosaur".  How rude!

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

YouTube

Don't watch it.  It will rot the brain.  No Fake Book or Twit either.  (tsk)

I am proud to be a 'Social Media Failure'.

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 5/20/2021 at 12:36 PM, VKurtB said:

I any case, 2,000 coins would cost at LEAST about $50,000 to have graded at a reputable firm.

Unless they are all suitable for bulk submitting, in which case the cost may drop as low as $8 per coin so $16K.

We have NO IDEA, what coins he has, all we know is he has 2,000 of them.  He just asked the rules for bulk submission, any other speculation about what he may have or whether they are worthy of submission, or whether he can judge whether they are worthy of submitting is all just unfounded hot air.

On 5/22/2021 at 1:10 PM, VKurtB said:

You can even register for it from this link right here, but most probably won't.

Thanks for the link, just registered.  Not that I really need it, but I just love talks and presentations.