• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

submitting coins to NGC question

6 posts in this topic

Good afternoon,

I am planning on submitting some coins for grading. Currently, the coins are in snap lock airtight holders. Is it ok to submit the coins in these? They seem to be very well protected in these holders. I am a little worried of taking them out and ruining them.

They may charge you for removal of the coins from the snap locks

Although their site doesn't specify they do request the use of the proper sized flip.  https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/how-to-package/
  https://www.ngccoin.com/submit/coins-we-grade/#return-packaging

I've sent a dozen or so coins in to be graded and removed them from their non-TPG holders and/or Mint capsules and placed in flips and still getting MS70's on most new coins and expected grading on others. If you use care and gloves when handling you'll be fine (along with proper packing material). As much as it's a pain for us to open the snap lock types imagine if everyone did that to them and they had to do 100's or even 1000's of those daily.
hope this helps.

While I have never done so my thought is that NGC would go ahead and remove them for you, however by doing this you run the risk of having your submission returned to you ungraded for not following the NGC guidelines for submissions.   My suggestion is to contact customer service and discuss this with them, if you have a concern or physical issue that would prevent you from removing the coins from the holders I'm sure that they can work with you to find a solution.