2021 Morgan Dollar and Peace Dollar coins - placement in the NGC Registry?
3 3

13 posts in this topic

• Administrator

The senior team is carefully considering placement of these 2021 coins. Do you think they are appropriate in the US Type Sets, Date Sets, or are strictly commemorative? We value your feedback; please give your 2 cents below. 

Arrow GIF

These are not in any way intended to circulate so I wouldn't want them in a type set for circulating coins. They're NCLT. Only include them if you intend to add silver eagles and other NCLT to the type set (please don't).

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2021 at 6:40 AM, BlakeEik said:

I'm just stating facts here.

The new Morgan and Peace dollars:

• Are silver dollars
  • Are the same width and design as Morgan / Peace type dollars but not the same composition or weight
  • Are not the "same series" as the 1878-1921-1935 series
  • Are not commemoratives (as they are not designated so by congress)

I'm just stating opinion here.

• The mint has really screwed up traditional series collection with the American Liberty Gold (ALG) Series, the Mayflower series, the First Lady series, etc. These are not commemoratives by congressional act, nor are they considered bullion in the same sense as the ASE, AGE, American Gold Buffalo, etc.  They are different, and should not be lumped in with commemoratives or bullion.  NGC has already started mixing these oddball sets.
  • These "off-the rails" series soured modern coin collecting for me. Some others may enjoy it more, but not me.
  • Having the new Morgan and Peace dollars compete in a registry as types against the traditional dollars would be insane. Period.
  • My vote would be to treat the new Morgan / Peace dollars as something different, or "other," like the series mentioned above. In other words, NGC should have U.S. registry sets in one of the following categories:
    • Traditional only (types that have circulated, including Colonials, tokens, etc. The only exception being pattern coinage, which were very limited and never meant for public consumption.)
    • Commemorative only (Classic 1892-1954, Modern 1982-present, by congressional act only)
    • Bullion only (limited to gold, silver, platinum, and palladium types with a consistent design traded on bullion exchanges. If the new Morgan and Peace dollars are used over multiple years, calling them bullion might make the most sense.  Like Saint Gaudens, they should not be labeled as the "same types" as their design origins).
    • "Other" only (types not in the above categories, e.g. Centennial commemoratives, First Lady, ALG, Mayflower, new Morgan and Peace dollars, Innovation dollars, etc.)
    • And only if necessary, have some sets that combine the 2 or more of the above, but do NOT replace the other sets. Some type sets would certainly fall into this category.

The Mint should really have a name for these "other" coin series they keep making out of thin air. Until they do that, the ANA, NGC, the Red Book, or some organization with some weight should name this odd-ball category. Right now, different organizations are treating them differently - i.e. forcing them into bullion, or commemorative categories.  A real mess!

Couldn't agree more BlakeEik

Edited by Stephen83333

Couldn't agree more BlameEik, these coins have NO business in any NGC registry other than possibly their own small "other" type collection. If NGC places these coins into any of the traditional categories I will lose interest in participation in the future. Please don't do it NGC.

I had no interest in the 2021 ""CC" or "O" Morgan from the start and no intention of picking one up 2nd hand down the road.  I just don't want a coin with what I refer to as a fake mint mark.  I agree with all the other opinions on here as well.  

If anything, along with the recent uptick in silver this 2021 Morgan hype may have benefited me.  I have an 1885-O Morgan in an NGC holder and while just an MS64 I see the price just spiked in the NGC price guide.   I also have a GSA CC that hasn't been graded yet.  

Spike.JPG

On 5/4/2021 at 7:26 PM, Ali E. said:

The senior team is carefully considering placement of these 2021 coins. Do you think they are appropriate in the US Type Sets, Date Sets, or are strictly commemorative? We value your feedback; please give your 2 cents below. 

Arrow GIF

I'm ok with the P,D and S mints but not the "CC" and "O" Privy.  They are fake mint marks.  The P,D,S are still producing coins today.  

On 5/5/2021 at 5:48 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

IMHO, strictly commemorative.  Unlike all the other coins in this series, these were never meant for circulation.  Plus, the "O" mint mark and the "CC" mint mark are privys, not mint marks.  Finally, there are no plans to continue issuing these after this year.  They are what they are.  They commemorate the 100th anniversary of the last Morgan and the first peace dollar.

I personally think they deserve their own short set. 

I totally agree that they deserve their own short set.