• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest penny ?

9 posts in this topic

Can anyone please let me know this is a rare penny I just found !? I got 1996 S ( proof) with WIDE  am , please verify this penny for me and if so , what can I do next ???? Thank you so much ... h

C1D476CA-7361-4FC3-A71A-7FB5C0D8589A.jpeg

DD778BA6-FD18-49ED-91A6-0A348EDEBC18.jpeg

Personally, if I thought I had a valuable coin I would send it ASAP to NGC for authentication and variations.

I love the name of that microscope "KOOLERTRON". Awesome!

I think all 96 proofs were wide AMs and all business strikes were close AMs. If that coin was a close AM you'd have something.

I just started coins collecting afew months ago and still needed to learn a lot . I will try my luck send that coin out tomorrow, hopefully will get a good news ! Thank you again Alex and Mike 

I suggest that you save your money, this coin will not be attributed as a wide AM.  You posted this same coin on the PCGS forum and received the same answers there, this is not a variety just a normal cent for that date.

That is Reverse Die Varity #6 (RDV-006), which was used on all Lincoln proof coins from 1989 to 2008, with the exception of the issue of 1993, and some of the 1998 and 1999 coins. As the others have said, it is the normal reverse design for the 1996 year.