• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973D dime error?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

If it were a cladding error you would feel a ridge where the outer layer is missing. run you thumbnail across it, if you do not feel an obvious bump where the color change is then it is not a cladding error.

It looks like a stain from the picture

Just because you can feel a ridge does not automatically qualify as a missing clad layer error.   While it is one possibility from the photos it appears that there is some substance, glue or other foreign matter which could also form a ridge.  I suggest you soak the coin in acetone; pure acetone not your girlfriends nail polish remover; and see if the stain/gunk is loosened or removed.  Do this in a well ventilated area and you will not need to soak for very long, maybe ten minutes at most.  Acetone will dissolve most organic material but does not harm the metal during a short soak.  If after that you still have a ridge feel then its possible that you could have a cladding error and at that time you can follow up with a local coin dealer who can examine it in hand not via photos. 

From what I see in the photos I expect that you will end up with a very clean bright shinny dime that you can handle without fear of covid.

Edited by Coinbuf

Your coin looks like it is corroded and stained.  It doesn't look anything like a missing clad error.  Missing clad errors aren't common and it's incredibly unusual to have missing clad on both sides.  Also, most coins with a missing clad layer are lighter than standard.