• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Priority Signature Mail
2 2

126 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

Sorry to have to disagree with you but I do not believe he knows the difference between a Company 'Mail Room' and a US Post Office.

Whatever....distinction without (much of) a difference.....the important thing is that Mark's coins apparently are safe and that's the best news in this thread !!  (thumbsu

As Homer Simpson once said...."Let us celebrate with the joining of chocolate to milk." xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

The coins in question were always safe; what wasn't was patience and understanding.  I guess I will never find out the mailing address of the fictional NGC Post Office, eh?

“The less people know, the more stubbornly they know it.” – Rajneesh

2 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Sorry to have to disagree with you but I do not believe he knows the difference between a Company 'Mail Room' and a US Post Office.

Alex I couldn’t give two s***s what you did or who you are. You enjoy kicking someone when they’re down. Have a good life sir. I truly mean that. 

However I deeply appreciate the rest of you for your kindness and very welcomed advice. I was worried. First time mailing off coins to anyone, so I was somewhat skeptical. All went well in the end like you gentleman said it would. Off to a Sox game! Thank you and have a fantastic Saturday! 

1 minute ago, reynoldsmc75 said:

Alex I couldn’t give two s***s what you did or who you are. You enjoy kicking someone when they’re down. Have a good life sir. I truly mean that. 

However I deeply appreciate the rest of you for your kindness and very welcomed advice. I was worried. First time mailing off coins to anyone, so I was somewhat skeptical. All went well in the end like you gentleman said it would. Off to a Sox game! Thank you and have a fantastic Saturday! 

Very glad it turned out well and enjoy the game.

4 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

OIP.jpg

Al. You are a dead horse. 

Come on buddy send me some emojis!! You’re the only senior citizen I know who uses 6th grade humor. Keep it up it’s soooo cute! 

2 minutes ago, reynoldsmc75 said:

Al i miss your emojis!! Come on buddy!! Fire up your rascal and send some emojis!!!! 

You complained about his posts and now you’re egging him on.

I've always sent mine USPS Registered and thought that a signature was required every time my package changed hands. Therefore it could be tracked to a person at any time or it is locked in a safe box with a key 

31 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

OIP.jpg

Al tell me about 1966 and the coin you lost! I’m so fascinated. Tell me how you’re a stickler for the rules!! And please send me more emojis! My daughter is in the 3rd grade and she could always use some fresh stuff. Please!! 

4 minutes ago, numisport said:

I've always sent mine USPS Registered and thought that a signature was required every time my package changed hands. Therefore it could be tracked to a person at any time or it is locked in a safe box with a key 

Even if the package had been sent by registered mail, there wouldn’t have been any updates while it was stuck at a given location. And the sender might have been nervous until he knew it had been delivered.

Those links I sent on Page 3 tell the story.  I don't understand even with Covid why we are seeing those delays, it's not Christmas.

And you would think compared to 10 or 20 years ago that with so few letters sent that the online buying would be offset in part.  But I guess not.

13 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Even if the package had been sent by registered mail, there wouldn’t have been any updates while it was stuck at a given location. And the sender might have been nervous until he knew it had been delivered.

I guess what I meant was that if it was presumed lost, then one person would be responsible at any given location. So if it was last tracked in Memphis let's say, they would know who to ask "where is that registered you had in your possession" ?

Maybe the solution is to send coins in for grading ONLY through FedX and UPS ?  Clearly, they are better able to handle Covid and the package surge than the USPS.

12 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Maybe the solution is to send coins in for grading ONLY through FedX and UPS ?  Clearly, they are better able to handle Covid and the package surge than the USPS.

There are many complaints about those options, as well.

7 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

There are many complaints about those options, as well.

I know.....seems some hub in Mephis had somebody tearing open packages with valuable coins in them a while back.

With the internet, alot of seasonal and PT employees can see the same delivery addresses repeating and figure out what is in the envelopes/packages.  If I were sending valuable coins, I'd probably videotape me handing off the package to the FedX or UPS or USPS person.....showing the envelope sealed tight with no loose ends ..... then if it "accidentally tears open" during shipping, we know it was human hands and not fate that did it.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

3 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

I know.....seems some hub in Mephis had somebody tearing open packages with valuable coins in them a while back.

With the internet, alot of seasonal and PT employees can see the same delivery addresses repeating and figure out what is in the envelopes/packages.  If I were sending valuable coins, I'd probably videotape me handing off the package to the FedX or UPS or USPS person.....showing the envelope sealed tight with no loose ends ..... then if it "accidentally tears open" during shipping, we know it was human hands and not fate that did it.

And you’d have no proof regarding the contents.

31 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

You would have taken an image of the contents before you packaged it. While not clear proof of contents you always have declared value and insurance would cover that, that's what you're paying for. Also with registered you should make sure they mark all seams which is why they require paper or kraft tape.

54 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Maybe not but if the package was torn open like happened at the Memphis hub, I'd know it was intentional and not my faulty packaging. 

I could also videotape the coins going into the package and being sealed with the mail person taking delivery as they watch me put the stuff in.  Would take 15 seconds to tape it all.

16 minutes ago, numisport said:

You would have taken an image of the contents before you packaged it. While not clear proof of contents you always have declared value and insurance would cover that, that's what you're paying for. Also with registered you should make sure they mark all seams which is why they require paper or kraft tape.

Not bad....I'd go for the videotape of me putting the coins into the envelope or package with the mail person acknowledging the coins.....me and the mail person being taped....me handing it over to him/her....they giving me the receipt.

That's about as strong proof as you can get.

Now.....unless I call out "1923-D Saint-Gaudens" I guess the actual coin type is still in question.  But if the mail person acknowledges I put 4 slabbed coins in, it would be folly for the company to dispute the specific year and mint and coin type I sent.  I called it out when I put it in the envelope or package....I have pics....package was broken into.....company can't then say I sent in a "cheap" AU-53 instead of an MS66 or whatever.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

33 minutes ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Maybe not but if the package was torn open like happened at the Memphis hub, I'd know it was intentional and not my faulty packaging. 

I could also videotape the coins going into the package and being sealed with the mail person taking delivery as they watch me put the stuff in.  Would take 15 seconds to tape it all.

Not bad....I'd go for the videotape of me putting the coins into the envelope or package with the mail person acknowledging the coins.....me and the mail person being taped....me handing it over to him/her....they giving me the receipt.

That's about as strong proof as you can get.

Now.....unless I call out "1923-D Saint-Gaudens" I guess the actual coin type is still in question.  But if the mail person acknowledges I put 4 slabbed coins in, it would be folly for the company to dispute the specific year and mint and coin type I sent.  I called it out when I put it in the envelope or package....I have pics....package was broken into.....company can't then say I sent in a "cheap" AU-53 instead of an MS66 or whatever.

I believe that whatever limited upside you’d have in doing that would be offset by the downside of the “mail person” (and possibly other patrons) seeing that you’re shipping coins of value. But to each his own.

Edited by MarkFeld

43 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

I believe that whatever limited upside you’d have in doing that would be offset by the downside of the “mail person” (and possibly other patrons) seeing that you’re shipping coins of value. But to each his own.

You might be right, Mark.  The main problem is all the PT and seasonal help who are the ones most likely to steal.  It's not usually the 25-year veteran with a nice pension who is looking to steal, IMO.

Might then be best to have a friend tape me...at the place of mailing.... putting the coins in the envelope/package after zooming in on each coin to verify the content....sealing it....then going up to the person and giving them the package in exchange for a receipt.  

Then they wouldn't know what was in the package.(thumbsu 

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 4/29/2021 at 4:57 PM, reynoldsmc75 said:

Right now I’m out $4000.00 dollars plus $60 in insurance. Shipping costs are kind of the least of my worries, but I appreciate the advice.

Do keep us posted. And bear in mind, due to the ongoing pandemic, turn-around times have been extended.  It will likely take a little longer to get back anything you may have sent regardless of tier chosen.  My feeling is everything will turn out just fine.

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Do keep us posted. And bear in mind, due to the ongoing pandemic, turn-around times have been extended.  It will likely take a little longer to get back anything you may have sent regardless of tier chosen.  My feeling is everything will turn out just fine.

Based on his latest posts, he's in the clear.  Stuff got delivered to NGC.

5 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

I’m good. Thank you sir. It got stuck in NOLA. 

8 hours ago, reynoldsmc75 said:

NOLA?  Every time I see that acronym I think about the corruption in the P.D. and how two of their former members wound up, not on The Farm in Angola but Death Row in Terre Haute. (circa Katrina).  I hope when you get your treasures back -- the other half of the journey fraught with peril -- you are pleasantly surprised.  There isn't a collector anywhere who hasn't experienced the unease you have. My biggest fear is my coin in a PCGS slab sitting on my desk the past year, won't cross at NGC.  You know you're losing it when spending ten times more on a new coin seems far more reasonable than risking a cross-grade refusal.  Anyway, glad to hear your merchandise is safe and sound in good hands. 👍

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Not clear enough.

14 hours ago, reynoldsmc75 said:

Ahhhh, so your package was located and delivered to NGC, or at least on the road to Bradenton, Fl. That's good.

5 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

NOLA?  Every time I see that acronym I think about the corruption in the P.D. and how two of their former members wound up, not on The Farm in Angola but Death Row in Terre Haute. (circa Katrina).  I hope when you get your treasures back -- the other half of the journey fraught with peril -- you are pleasantly surprised.  There isn't a collector anywhere who hasn't experienced the unease you have. My biggest fear is my coin in a PCGS slab sitting on my desk the past year, won't cross at NGC.  You know you're losing it when spending ten times more on a new coin seems far more reasonable than risking a cross-grade refusal.  Anyway, glad to hear your merchandise is safe and sound in good hands. 👍

Seriously. At least I know now how god awfully slow the USPS is right now. Not completely their fault but good grief. Just expect your item to and fro to be late. I didn’t realize. Wow. 

1 hour ago, reynoldsmc75 said:

Seriously. At least I know now how god awfully slow the USPS is right now. Not completely their fault but good grief. Just expect your item to and fro to be late. I didn’t realize. Wow. 

It's pretty bad at several towns. Some of the other places it will zip right thru I've noticed. Then get to a certain town and get stuck. I had a package stuck for 2 weeks at one town before. And other towns for 3 to 5 days. Hopefully this covid will clear up soon where everything can return to normal. I was very happy to see your coins make it there safely. 

The Postal Service, by whatever name it is called, is a part of national communication as much as airlines, radio, TV, telephone, highways, electricity and so forth. USPS is obligated to maintain and staff thousands of small, rural offices, and deliver virtually anywhere in the country. No private corporation has this obligation and none would show a profit if they had to do this. Thousands of tiny villages have post offices because they are part of the communications glue that binds people to neighbors, friends and families far away. FedEx will not stop by your home every day (except Sunday) to see if you might, perchance, have a letter to mail; or if there might be a package of medication shipped from a thousand miles away to be delivered.

USPS is in a difficult financial position, but privatizing it - as the current idiotic Postmaster General wants to do - is merely a greedy way to isolate rural Americans. Privatization places profit before national connection and value to the public, and is fundamentally counter to America's democratic values.

Edited by RWB