• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I send in to be authenticated
1 1

35 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

By all means; send it in to be graded and encapsulated.  A coin of that date should get class A treatment.

Not everyone would know that you weren’t being serious and that might give them false hope.

Okay I have been comparing to the off center bust variety and not having the “fang” die markers . It is right weight and size with having the die scratch under the lower wing on reverse just thought I would look for another opinion.

4 minutes ago, JUSCOLLECTING12 said:

Okay I have been comparing to the off center bust variety and not having the “fang” die markers . It is right weight and size with having the die scratch under the lower wing on reverse just thought I would look for another opinion.

Forget about the weight and size, which are sometimes correct on copies. Look no further than the feathers on the eagle. They, among other differences, are among the most conspicuous.

1 hour ago, JUSCOLLECTING12 said:

Nothing --- nothing at all --- on your counterfeit matches an original. As Mark noted, the eagle's feathers are especially gross - but so is everything else from Liberty's hair to stars, inscriptions, wreath.... Please, take a permanent marker and write "FAKE" on the thing so no one else in your family will be mistaken.

1 hour ago, JUSCOLLECTING12 said:

I'll give you one. No.

Run a magnet accross it. It will more than likely stick to a magnet. I don't think always but that's one of the first test to perform.  A real one won't stick to a magnet.  These are counterfeited quite often.  I own 2 counterfeits myself.  There is no way I'd ever try to sell them to Noone. Just have them to compare others to. And wo flip around and different of reasons. If it doesn't stick to a magnet that still doesn't mean anything. 

Edited by Hoghead515

5 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

Not everyone would know that you weren’t being serious and that might give them false hope.

My apologies but after seeing the Reverse I just could not help myself.  And if I, yes l'il ol' me, can tell it's a fake it has to be a very bad fake.  Cheers.

45 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

My apologies but after seeing the Reverse I just could not help myself.  And if I, yes l'il ol' me, can tell it's a fake it has to be a very bad fake.  Cheers.

I thought it was someone posting it as a joke at first.  

59 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

I thought it was someone posting it as a joke at first.  

Close and you win a ceegar.  Here in the back woods of Pennsylvania we call it 'Hatchet Humor'.   :bigsmile:

2 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

Run a magnet accross it. It will more than likely stick to a magnet. I don't think always but that's one of the first test to perform.  A real one won't stick to a magnet.  These are counterfeited quite often.  I own 2 counterfeits myself.  There is no way I'd ever try to sell them to Noone. Just have them to compare others to. And wo flip around and different of reasons. If it doesn't stick to a magnet that still doesn't mean anything. 

Yeah that was the first thing I did before I weighed it and no stick .

If it's any consolation, it looks a whole lot better than the usual genuine counterfeits you run into.  At the very least, it can fill a hole in your album that's been empty for years.  "Scrawny Eagles" in the higher grades command hefty prices.  Who's to say your son might not locate one further down the line?   If and when you get one, the one you have can be used as a valuable teaching tool.  It it were me, I would hold onto it.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Extraneous word; missing apostrophization

1 hour ago, MarkFeld said:

The most valuable teaching tool is learning what genuine examples look like.

Is there a book or website providing examples on 'most' counterfeit coins that you would recommend?  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Is there a book or website providing examples on 'most' counterfeit coins that you would recommend?  Thanks.

While I’ve seen some sites that show some counterfeits, none come to mind that include most of them.  However, you can often see counterfeits listed for sale on EBay and there are commercial websites that sell them in quantity. I receive inquiries about counterfeits just about every week - sometimes multiple times in a week.

16 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

I receive inquiries about counterfeits just about every week - sometimes multiple times in a week.

Do people tell you where they got these raw, ungraded fakes -- Ebay ?  Local coin shop ?  Local coin shows ?  

14 hours ago, Woods020 said:

No lie look at Etsy. It’s a hotspot for counterfeits of all kinds. Obviously not to buy but if you want to see a bunch of fakes that’s a good start. 

What the heck is Etsy -- is it another Ebay copy ?  Another Craigslist ?  I see it mentioned alot with coins on this and other sites.

On 4/25/2021 at 7:07 AM, MarkFeld said:

Please don’t confuse things by referring to “genuine counterfeits”. All counterfeits could be considered “genuine counterfeits”. After all, what would a non-genuine counterfeit be? A real coin? 

A so-called V-nickel is a genuine coin minted by the U.S. Government.  A gold-plated one is still genuine -- as are the recent America the Great quarters plated likewise, but inauthentic.

Many privately minted coins are exceedingly good copies that circumvent the laws requiring the intrusive "copy" or "replica" mark by simply upsizing or downsizing their coins. The 1804 dollar and Fugio Cent, minted in two-ounce sizes are examples of this: authorized counterfeits where confusion with its genuine counterpart is minimized or eliminated altogether.

In a related parallel matter, I see no consequences in criticizing a Haring or Banksy, rare now, due to safeguards) or Jackson Pollock work -- or even a Picasso, if someone felt it good enough to pass and buy it for millions.  My feeling is if it is good enough to fool the experts with superb artistic ability -- which is what is really important -- the artist ought to be of no consequence. What is so special of the genuine article you cannot touch or handle -- or display, as compared with an authorized counterfeit you can?  World-famous dowagers wear fake diamonds and jewelry all the time as well they should. It all boils down to perception. The only reason why author Clifford Irving spent time in jail was simply his well-regarded belief Howard Hughes would not pursue legal action against him..  He gambled,, and lost.  It did not, however, make any of his extensive research less interesting or invaluable. If anyone were motivated to write an unauthorized autobiography of my less than stellar life, I would be flattered and invite him in for a series of sit-downs.  BTW, who gets to write Bernie Madoff's story now? If someone were to write a tome entitled, "The Secret Life of Augustus Saint-Gaudens," who would care? Very often, the original, exceeds in quality and workmanship and research, of the original.

6 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

What the heck is Etsy -- is it another Ebay copy ?  Another Craigslist ?  I see it mentioned alot with coins on this and other sites.

Etsy started as a marketplace for people to sell arts and crafts type items. Somehow coin arts and crafts have made their way on there. 

Etsy recently purchased reverb.com. Have not bought a guitar on reverb since etsy took over. Waiting to see if reverb turns into a disreputable mess too.