UFO Coins
3 3

16 posts in this topic

Hinkle and myself are on the same page today . We both seem to be looking at UFO's today ..........LOL I opened a roll of quarters and they were all 2020 Tall Grass Prairie with 20% of them with LAR line breaks and a bunch more with wing die chips, I have a tubes for each of these. Lar Line Break is my name for it. I have found photos of the wing die chips on line but have yet to find the Lar line .. On line.. LoL 

Please feel free to add any pictures you would like to put up.

S20210216_0007.jpg

S20210216_0001.jpg

Edited by J P Mashoke
Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be the dies at the Philadelphia mint only. My lone Denver 2020 Tallgrass quarter MS keeper shows none of the above line breaks or wing cuds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Modwriter said:

Must be the dies at the Philadelphia mint only. My lone Denver 2020 Tallgrass quarter MS keeper shows none of the above line breaks or wing cuds.

Yes I think it is only Philly quarters that have the Line and the Chip. Whenever I compare a D to a P coin there is no comparison Denver coins are always a better strike they seem to hold up better over time than Philly coins.

 I think there are 4 different wing chip types or they are the same chip that just expanded in size over time.. lol

Edited by J P Mashoke
Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI. The area on the wing is not a cud.  Cuds involve a die break associated with the rim area.  (yeah, I think it's silly to have a different name, but it's been called that since I started collecting nearly 50 years ago). The mark on the wing is an internal die break, but most of us still call it a die chip or die break

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Oldhoopster said:

FYI. The area on the wing is not a cud.  Cuds involve a die break associated with the rim area.  (yeah, I think it's silly to have a different name, but it's been called that since I started collecting nearly 50 years ago). The mark on the wing is an internal die break, but most of us still call it a die chip or die break

 

Sorry about that. I misquoted that. You are correct a die chip it would be. Thank you for the correction Oldhoopster I appreciate it. I fixed the mistakes in the first posts.

Edited by J P Mashoke
Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this little PMD oddity. looks like some clad is missing. What do ya think a bad bond of the clad layer, blow torch or a massive chemical spilllol

S20210506_0002.jpg

S20210506_0001.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, J P Mashoke said:

I found this little PMD oddity. looks like some clad is missing. What do ya think a bad bond of the clad layer, blow torch or a massive chemical spilllol

S20210506_0002.jpg

S20210506_0001.jpg

Filled die due to a Light layer of grease.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Oldhoopster said:

Filled die due to a Light layer of grease.  

Very cool Oldhoopster.  I always learn something new every day here. So that would mean it came off the line that way not PMD.

Edited by J P Mashoke
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3