• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 d copper penny

15 posts in this topic

If they are truly 1983 D copper then yes they are very rare.  The fact that you found two though might point to something else.  Are you sure your scale is accurate?  Can you post a picture of the coins on the scale?

Welcome to the Forum

A picture of both sides will be needed. There  are counterfeits of these cents and would like to eliminate that possibility.

A side fact:   There are more 1943 copper cents known than 1983, so the odds of even having one let alone two are astronomical.

For a copper 1983 cent to be accepted by the numismatic market, it needs to be authenticated by Experts at a TPG.   Without authentication, you will never be able to sell it for it's true value and that's going to cost you some $$.

There are many knowledgeable members on this forum that can help you decide if it's worth spending the money.  As @Greenstangsaid, the probability of finding one of these is incredibly low.  If you post some pics on the scale and clear shots of both sides, you'll get an accurate answer.  Members love nothing more than when somebody makes a great find, but also realize the odds are stacked against it.

BTW. If your pics look fuzzy, they won't be much help.  If you can't see them clearly, we can't see them clearly

I have a 1983-D penny that's weighing 2.84-2.88? I'm trying to add a video but it's too large. I have 2 sets of scales and it's fluctuating between 2.84 and 2.88. A 83 should be 2.5 with a tolerance of .13... That's 2.63 max?

I put it in a cardboard coin flip... 

On 2/23/2022 at 6:31 PM, Anthony7257 said:

I have a 1983-D penny that's weighing 2.84-2.88? I'm trying to add a video but it's too large. I have 2 sets of scales and it's fluctuating between 2.84 and 2.88. A 83 should be 2.5 with a tolerance of .13... That's 2.63 max?

I put it in a cardboard coin flip... 

Welcome to the forum, as the weight you are reporting is too light for a copper coin (3.11) and too heavy for a zinc coin (2.5) the most logical explanation is that your scales are off.   Other possible scenarios are that it is plated or perhaps an overweight planchet.   I suggest that you post some good clear in focus photos of both sides of the coin so we can see what you have and provide additional feedback.