• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Coin Questions
2 2

70 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

Happy you got settled in good my friend. If you find and good catfish holes down in that country give me a holler. I've always wanted to go down south and hook into a big southern flathead @Sharann is supposed to show me a good spot down in Mississippi country if I ever make it down in that country one of these days. 

You bet I am! I've already prepared George, the Nature Man, for your visit. Just say when... 

11 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I always wanted to go to Alabama to see Hank Williams grave site. Pay my respects to one of my favorite singers. 

I’m still learning the area around me, from Huntsville on south to Birmingham so far.

19 minutes ago, Sharann said:

You bet I am! I've already prepared George, the Nature Man, for your visit. Just say when... 

Thank you my friend. Hopefully sometime soon. If I can get to where I can afford to

12 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

I always wanted to go to Alabama

you would fit right in.  all we used to do is haul hay.  plant soy beans and pick cotton....  then go fishing in the river..  I thikn when i time is finished down here in florida i might head back to that hugh town of 2 - 3 thousand in Grant Alabama Northern Alabama not L.A. (Lower Alabama) hahaha 

49 minutes ago, JT2 said:

you would fit right in.  all we used to do is haul hay.  plant soy beans and pick cotton....  then go fishing in the river..  I thikn when i time is finished down here in florida i might head back to that hugh town of 2 - 3 thousand in Grant Alabama Northern Alabama not L.A. (Lower Alabama) hahaha 

I'd love it down there. My kind of place. All kinds of critters to catch too 

1 hour ago, Hoghead515 said:

I'd love it down there. My kind of place. All kinds of critters to catch too 

I just got back this weekend from being down that way, in Columbia Tenn. about 100 miles from Grant 

7 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

I just got back this weekend from being down that way, in Columbia Tenn. about 100 miles from Grant 

Very beautiful country. I worked down on Jasper mountain. It was awsome. 

VKurt I’m down in Tuscaloosa. I came back at Christmas from being in bucks county myself for work. Glad to be back and hope Alabama is showing itself to be hospitable, despite the insane weather so far. Let me know if you find any good coin shows around. Not nearly as much activity here as Philly. Sometime soon I’m going to check out the greater Atlanta  monthly show. 

Hoghead if you pass through Alabama give me a shout. I’m a big fisherman as well and know a place to take you cat fishing. Literally never know what you may pull out at the wheeler damn near Florence. P.S. Jasper is near where I grew up, and not the best representations of Alabama. If you need drugs or hitmen, that’s your place. If not we’ll...😂

As an aside and to be the boring guy that talks “work” haha, I agree with Kurt. I think the 63 the dealer said was pretty darn close. The cheek isn’t that bad, but those marks in front of the nose kill it going much higher. It does seem to have nice luster. Hard to say for certain from the pics but nothing says cleaned/polished to me blatantly. 

32 minutes ago, Woods020 said:

VKurt I’m down in Tuscaloosa. I came back at Christmas from being in bucks county myself for work. Glad to be back and hope Alabama is showing itself to be hospitable, despite the insane weather so far. Let me know if you find any good coin shows around. Not nearly as much activity here as Philly. Sometime soon I’m going to check out the greater Atlanta  monthly show. 

Hoghead if you pass through Alabama give me a shout. I’m a big fisherman as well and know a place to take you cat fishing. Literally never know what you may pull out at the wheeler damn near Florence. P.S. Jasper is near where I grew up, and not the best representations of Alabama. If you need drugs or hitmen, that’s your place. If not we’ll...😂

As an aside and to be the boring guy that talks “work” haha, I agree with Kurt. I think the 63 the dealer said was pretty darn close. The cheek isn’t that bad, but those marks in front of the nose kill it going much higher. It does seem to have nice luster. Hard to say for certain from the pics but nothing says cleaned/polished to me blatantly. 

Thanks for taking a look Woods. Like I said I knew it had some bag marks and it was still the best looking coin I had seen in a while and the dealer was a cool guy. Gave me a great deal on all the coins I got.

MS63 is a good call for it I think, and once I put it on the buffing wheel it will look like new maybe a 70.....:roflmao:.( LoL Just kidding )

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

Was laughing at the hit man part of the post is why I left a smiley face. Lol. When we was on Jasper mountain we heard loud pipes roaring. There was an old 80s model pick up came by on that old road a roaring. He had the 4 barrel opened up. He came by like a flash. About 2 minutes behind him came 4 police cars wide open and sirens whaling. One pulled in and asked if we seen him come by. A guy that worked with us told that cop that we heard him. Then he backed out spinning gravel and went up the road towards the way he went. That guy was moving on. Don't know if they ever got him or not but he was way ahead of the police. Don't know what he did or anything but it .ust have been bad. 

Also I would love to stop down and yank the jaw loose on a big flathead. If I'm ever down that way I'll take you up on that offer. I love fishing those kinds of places like at those dams. That's how the Ohio river is. Never know what you are gonna catch. I usually tropy fish. Love catching those big ones. Here's one of my bigger ones I caught when I was younger. I didn't get the weight. Didn't have no scales but I turned him back in the river. He wasn't as big as he looks in the picture. I guess the angle or something made him look bigger. We figured him to be in the upper 40s or lower 50s. I was 16 when I caught him. The Polaroid picture makes me look funny. I'm alot purtier than that picture makes me look. Polish_20210419_133954496.thumb.jpg.4075169721136ea799cf522aa735c6dc.jpg

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

Woods, I’m a ‘Bama (and Penn State) fan who has never been to Tuscaloosa. I need to do a pilgrimage. The Bear and Papa Joe are my two all time favorite coaches, who had the class to schedule each other from time to time. Since  PSU became a Big Ten school, that’s harder to get done.  My teams each get a crack at Auburn this year.

The Bryant museum is a must then. It’s actually really nice. For years it was send by one of his assistant coaches, Clem Gryska, who would walk around all day and tell bear stories to people in the museum. 

7 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I’m still learning the area around me, from Huntsville on south to Birmingham so far.

Head East young man (I think that is an old rock and roll song)  and you will find my old stomping grounds of Grant, Woodville, and the Guntersville Dam.  I used to work at Cathedral Caverns in the summer.  You have to watch out for the hugh  Rattlers and i am not talking the OGH.  some were about 8' 

16 minutes ago, JT2 said:

Head East young man (I think that is an old rock and roll song)  and you will find my old stomping grounds of Grant, Woodville, and the Guntersville Dam.  I used to work at Cathedral Caverns in the summer.  You have to watch out for the hugh  Rattlers and i am not talking the OGH.  some were about 8' 

We got some big rattlers up here too. We're eat up with em. Timber rattlers. 

1 minute ago, J P Mashoke said:

We got no Rattlers Or big Flatheads around here much but we got some bad 25' Great White sharks that hang around about 15 miles from my house in Chatham LoL

I'd love to hook into one of those big bad boys too. 

2 hours ago, JT2 said:

The other house in Huntsville we just sold had rattlers in the crawl space, according to the guy who inspected it.

1 hour ago, VKurtB said:

The other house in Huntsville we just sold had rattlers in the crawl space, according to the guy who inspected it.

That's how they are here. Gotta watch what your doing in the warmer months. They crawl in the building and under the house. On the porch. We just learned to watch our step. 

17 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

That's how they are here. Gotta watch what your doing in the warmer months. They crawl in the building and under the house. On the porch. We just learned to watch our step. 

So...there's no truth to the idea that was how the early settlers learned to dance?

1 hour ago, RWB said:

So...there's no truth to the idea that was how the early settlers learned to dance?

When them tails go to shaking they will sure make ya dance. 

I had an indoor/outdoor house cat years ago that brought home a dead copperhead. She thought she was Rikki Tikki Tavi or something.

Edited by VKurtB
Spelling correction

On 4/18/2021 at 1:05 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Yes thanks Bill. I thought it was a Philly but it is always good to ask.

It isn't Philly, it's West Point.  In general all the bullion coins are struck at West Point.  From time to time they will strike some elsewhere but the only way to know is by the strap holding the green monster box closed.  If a TPG opens the box they can indicate the mint on the label (P) (W) or (S).  If a TPG is not the one to open the box then there is no way to know which mint it came from so the default is West Point.

On 4/18/2021 at 1:05 PM, J P Mashoke said:

What a markup just to put it in a PCGS slab. Mine looks just as good if not better for $35 and $3 for the case 

Yes but that one was opened by the TPG so they know it is a Philly coin. and Philly didn't strike a lot of them.  Yours can't be identified as a Philly strike.

7 hours ago, Conder101 said:

It isn't Philly, it's West Point.  In general all the bullion coins are struck at West Point.  From time to time they will strike some elsewhere but the only way to know is by the strap holding the green monster box closed.  If a TPG opens the box they can indicate the mint on the label (P) (W) or (S).  If a TPG is not the one to open the box then there is no way to know which mint it came from so the default is West Point.

Yes but that one was opened by the TPG so they know it is a Philly coin. and Philly didn't strike a lot of them.  Yours can't be identified as a Philly strike.

Thanks Conder101 ,, I read somewhere originally Philly made them and WestPoint took over doing the Silver Eagles some time around 1999. But I was not sure because there's no mint mark. I guess they only mark special coins. 

32 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

Thanks Conder101 ,, I read somewhere originally Philly made them and WestPoint took over doing the Silver Eagles some time around 1999. But I was not sure because there's no mint mark. I 

Philly struck some in 2020 because of covid. Emergency production. I got the privilege of owning one. Anyone know if they struck any of the 2021 Eagles at philly?

On 4/18/2021 at 8:56 PM, VKurtB said:

Watching The Weather Channel way too much looking at tornado warnings.

Keep your eyes on the sky and your head down.  Was only in one tornado in Colorado; had this active duty combat soldier hiding under the bed.

Roll Tide!  :banana:

4 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Keep your eyes on the sky and your head down.  Was only in one tornado in Colorado; had this active duty combat soldier hiding under the bed.

Roll Tide!  :banana:

Got to see my first one in Nebraska. First time ever saw one live. The bosses lived out there and were used to them. Everyone on our crew was off work except me. Had to help the bosses haul materials 30 miles to the next town.  Was the only one with a truck and they asked if I'd help. Figured I'd make a few extra dollars to. We saw that tornado and the bosses wanted to pull over and watch it. I was freaking out. My good friends from KY that worked with me had to go to the next town to get beer. They were on way back and were trying to out run it. Freaked them out to. They was talking when I got back that night about a bunch of iDi0+s pulled off the side of the road where it was. That was us :roflmao:

That had me scared to death. Those bosses was used to it where they live with them out there. There was hail balls the size of golf balls bouncing off our rigs. Put little chips all over my truck window. Dents in it to. Those other boys didn't get caught in the hail. If we'd just went on we wouldn't have either. Them bosses didn't care. They had company vehicles. They was laughing after it was over. I should have made that company pay for it but was young and didn't know any better. I was just 19 at the time. If it were today I'd drive off and leave them sitting. I was young and afraid I'd get in trouble if I didn't stay with them. It looked very close. They said we was OK where we was at and it was farther off than it looked where it's so flat out there. The wind was sure shaking my truck pretty good. I bout had it running down both legs.