• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading coins

11 posts in this topic

I am brand new. I bought a bunch of 76 eisenhower dollars I was wanting to get graded for them to reach the maximum value, as well as some mint error 57 pennies and 64 dimes. But I get on and pay for the membership and they are saying it’s 18 dollars per coin to do so? Or if I click the 0 dollar fee, will that still accomplish what I am trying to do? Please help me! You can also reach me tjm517@yahoo.com

image.jpg

I'm still fairly new but I've submitted a  few coins and can help you a little. Under the modern tier it is $18 per coin for just the grading fees. On the error coins it's an additional $15 dollars per coin on top of the $18.  It is very expensive to have some graded. Then you got a handling fee on top of the shipping fee. I just submitted a quarter with an error and it costed me right at $80 bucks for the one coin after all the fees for the cheapest tier.   It's not worth sending a coin in unless the value will be around $150 or more.  It will have to be a very nice coin and get a very high grade or you will take a major loss. Most coins are cheaper to buy already graded. Most coins you see out for sale were sent in bulk submissions by dealers. Dealers get a discount under bulk submissions is why you see cheaper coins in slabs at cheaper prices. Then if a coin is cleaned or scratched it will get a details grade. Be holdered but not graded and still charged the grading fee. Or if one has something on it it will go thru NCS to be conserved and be a fee on top of that. You could have $150 or so in one coin if your not careful and it just be a $30 coin already slabbed. Hope this helps a little. Good luck and hope they do good. Also they are way behind right now. It will take way over a month to get them back. And sometimes if you send in several and if they can't ship them back to you together for some reason it will cost additional shipping and insurance prices to ship each shipment back. The insurance is usually figured into the shipping. 

Edited by Hoghead515

The 76-D Ike needs to grade 67

The 57 cent, as a general rule the rotation needs to be 15 degrees off for it to be worth it/recognized as an error. Me personally, it needs to be at least 45 degrees off before it's interesting.

I would post pictures of those two coins first just to get a few opinions of what their conditions are. Chances are it's not worth your time and/or money to have the coins graded. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
spelling

Agree the coin should be worth $150 to make it worthwhile with the cost of grading. I bought this one for $79 which was a little high IMHO, nice coin but if I had one, I don’t believe it would’ve been worth the cost of grading. I just sent in two AS eagles one was the  very limited edition W proof ultra cam. Both coins cost $110 but the W is worth nearly $400 now. Good luck.

10AA52CB-B4D9-4A9B-8479-4654533F673D.jpeg

BB298950-6F91-4480-AA23-9DF4667F0A10.jpeg

7 hours ago, Terrinm said:

I am brand new. I bought a bunch of 76 eisenhower dollars I was wanting to get graded for them to reach the maximum value, as well as some mint error 57 pennies and 64 dimes. But I get on and pay for the membership and they are saying it’s 18 dollars per coin to do so? Or if I click the 0 dollar fee, will that still accomplish what I am trying to do? Please help me! You can also reach me tjm517@yahoo.com

image.jpg

Wherever did you get the idea that grading was inexpensive? It’s not. The VAAAAAAAAST majority of even collectible coins should never ever be considered for grading.

Edited by VKurtB

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you have read or listened to some bad advice, most coins do not benefit monetarily from grading and encapsulating.   You have to be able to identify those that do from those that will not, just looking at what you have on the top of the stacks in your photo it appears that you have coins that will not be benefited from sending to a TPG.   I would suggest that you obtain a red book and look at the values for the coins that you have in your possession, I suspect that you will be rather disappointed if you view what you have objectively.   That Ike on top of the stack in the BU+++ 2X2 looks to be MS63 or lower from the obv side that we can see, and graded MS63's sell for around $15 which is far less than the cost to grade.  You might wonder why these sell for less than your cost to submit, the answer is that dealers can submit in bulk for far less per coin; so even these "mistake" coins that are part of a bulk submission a bulk submitter can break even on at $15 each.

That is not to say that these are not nice coins and would make a great album collection, but unless you have something special in one of those stacks chances are that there is no need to submit any of them.   The hard truth is that if you bought these from a dealer, and there was money to be made from submitting them why wouldn't the dealer have done that himself to maximize his profits.

It is unlikely that any of the coins you bought are valuable enough to justify throwing away money on independent authentication and grading. The "maximum value" for most of those  coins will be $1 or $2 -- not the $25 + postage you'll pay to have each graded.

[Where do people get the idea that sticking a coin in a TPG holder makes them "valuable" ?]

15 hours ago, Terrinm said:

I am brand new. I bought a bunch of 76 eisenhower dollars I was wanting to get graded for them to reach the maximum value, as well as some mint error 57 pennies and 64 dimes.

Are you doing this to enjoy coin collecting as a hobby...or are you doing this to make money ?