• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going Shopping
2 2

23 posts in this topic

Hi All . I am going shopping to some of the coin dealers around the Charlotte NC area tomorrow.I am always look for odd stuff but wanted to ask you guys and gals thoughts on (What's Hot). Like a date or mint mark Morgans I should  be keeping a eye out for maybe?. I know everyone has different tastes in coins they like but any thoughts of coins to keep a look out for would be awesome, any help would be appreciated. and it may turn out to be a fun topic  

3 minutes ago, Coinbuf said:

From what I have been seeing just about anything that is eye appealing and/or with toning is white hot right now.   Heck even unappealing ugly toned coins are bringing moon money often.

Thanks for the tip Coinbuf I will keep a eye out for oddballs, I was at one shop a while back and they had three good looking trays of Morgans a $40 ,$50,+ $75 tray.It was cool to see them laid out like that.But it would take me forever to pick out good raw coins like that LOL

If you're not familiar with grading and don't specialize in anything, then I like CB's idea of looking for toning. It's easy to identify and condition/rarity of the coin aren't as important necessarily. In general you're looking for high grade coins, FB, FBL, FS, FH, FT, etc.. Those are things you're looking for in the specific series. Bring a loupe and look for coins that you like and are familiar with. Don't forget to go through the $1 bin, if there is one there. 

I'd say keep an eye out for proof sets but look who I'm talking too.  :wink:

1 hour ago, Coinbuf said:

Heck even unappealing ugly toned coins are bringing moon money often.

Just have a look at CC Trade Dollars on EBay.  I can only describe it as sheer madness.  :pullhair:

2 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

Just have a look at CC Trade Dollars on EBay.  I can only describe it as sheer madness.  :pullhair:

Ya I may need a few more C's for one of those sweeties. 

I enjoy early Washington quarters myself. Back in the silver days. I really like it when they have rim toning. I think it's also called bullseye toning. I call it that anyways. Those are usually hot cause everyone always seems to bid higher on them and they usually sell for a higher premium. Silver can tone some beautiful colors. 

7 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Buying "what's hot" is usually going to mean paying high for the coins and often losing 

I agree and dealers know what they have and what it is worth. I find it is always a good practice to ask you guys for Ideas ,I always look for nice big rounds and proof sets, but hearing your comments gets me thinking of other coins to keep a eye out for like Lem's 1960 D and Hoghead quarters.All good stuff.:cool:  in my price range with any luck .. LoL Thanks

Some advice I read a lot in the beginning and ignored because I was too excited to buy coins is quality over quantity. And it’s good advice in the end. Buy one quality coin vs 10 cheaper ones. It doesn’t provide as much immediate gratification  but I now fully agree the you’ll be glad you did. 

20 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

I agree and dealers know what they have and what it is worth. I find it is always a good practice to ask you guys for Ideas ,I always look for nice big rounds and proof sets, but hearing your comments gets me thinking of other coins to keep a eye out for like Lem's 1960 D and Hoghead quarters.All good stuff.:cool:  in my price range with any luck .. LoL Thanks

Good luck to you my friend. Hopefully you can score some nice ones and get some good deals. 

1 minute ago, J P Mashoke said:

I think we did ok today ,The dealer was a good guy we had fun. I found the 3 piece set to finish my 1976 collection and some nice looking Silver all for $125.00

1901-O Morgan MS 63 ? 1958 + 1964  Quarters. I asked if I spend over $100 do i get a deal so he gave me a 1922-S Peace in VG condition just for the hell of it.

good deal.jpg

Good looking coins. That was nice of the old dude. 

16 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Good looking coins. That was nice of the old dude. 

I just picked what I liked and thought looked good. The Morgan was the sweetie no wear on it to speak of real nice luster some miner bag marks nothing big

1901-O.jpg

1901-0.jpg

2 hours ago, Hoghead515 said:

That Morgan is a beautiful coin. You done good my friend. I love those Morgans. 

Ya she is nice and bright white. Here is a shot you might like.

1964.jpg

1964 back.jpg

6 minutes ago, J P Mashoke said:

1964.jpg

1964 back.jpg

Oh yeah!!!  Very nice my friend. I love it. Nice silver quarter. That's right up my alley. Thanks for sharing it. I enjoy looking at those. 

Another good day in town I found the Silver Proof set i was missing ,I have the 94 and 96 but wanted the 1995 it was the more expensive set of the 3 and most places wanted $65 or higher for it and today I got one for $50 so yay again

1995 Proof.jpg

1995 Proof reverse.jpg

On 4/14/2021 at 10:02 PM, J P Mashoke said:

1964.jpg

1964 back.jpg

Silver. There's nothing like it.