• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this real
1 1

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It appears to be a genuine 1922-D that has had the mintmark area worked over. Notice how the bottoms of numerals 922 are diminished in a manner unlike any of the 1922 cent varieties.

[Observation:  not since the village of Lidice in Czechoslovakia was razed to the ground and all traces of life removed on orders of Hitler in 1942, has any surface be it ground, or background, been meticulously restored to its formerly pristine state.

For lack of a length of duct tape, the evidence of crime is there for all experienced eyes to see.

I think it safe, judging by color alone, this coin, apparently authentic, was altered by unlicensed semi-professionals decades ago who altered its surface but had the good sense to wait long enough for it to mature like a good wine.

But this only begs the question, how was this done? Surgical removal? Unlikely. Abrasion initially, followed by repeated buffing?  I concur that the lower limbs of the date suffered damage, but what of the mint mark area? How was it able to recover it's natural color and texture (smooth color-coordinated surface area) and how long did it take? Where does one find conclusive proof of alteration, defacement or damage or is all that simply to be deduced from localized wear?

These vexing questions alone make this coin a valuable find.]

2 hours ago, Williamleighton said:

Thanks everyone for your help I'm beginning to hate this coin 

2 hours ago, Williamleighton said:

Thanks everyone for your help I'm beginning to hate this coin 

[Observation:  not since the village of Lidice in Czechoslovakia was razed to the ground and all traces of life removed on orders of Hitler in 1942, has any surface be it ground, or background, been meticulously restored to its formerly pristine state.

For lack of a length of duct tape, the evidence of crime is there for all experienced eyes to see.

I think it safe, judging by color alone, this coin, apparently authentic, was altered by unlicensed semi-professionals decades ago who altered its surface but had the good sense to wait long enough for it to mature like a good wine.

But this only begs the question, how was this done? Surgical removal? Unlikely. Abrasion initially, followed by repeated buffing?  I concur that the lower limbs of the date suffered damage, but what of the mint mark area? How was it able to recover it's natural color and texture (smooth color-coordinated surface area) and how long did it take? Where does one find conclusive proof of alteration, defacement or damage or is all that simply to be deduced from localized wear?

These vexing questions alone make this coin a valuable find.

Here is an alternate theory. It is a genuine "no D" but anyone viewing it for the first time will be drawn to the mintmarked area and inevitably want to inspect it closely determining field surface anomalies by touching and rubbing its surface. With enough rubbing, it is inevitable fingers will also make contact with the bottom of the date.  I would hold onto this coin.