• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 copper penny
1 1

50 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

Esty would be a a wonderful site for him. :roflmao:

Here is an example of one of his post. This is me talking just to give you an example of what he does. Instead of posting 1 picture he would post several and most would be the same angle. Then he would post little videos of him holding it in the light. Here's the example:

SMS Satin matte special proof. Only 3 known(maybe more just an example)

" Look at the serif turning backward."

Picture

"Look at the satin finish dancing in the light" 

Video and 8 more pictures:

" Look at the die polishing marks around the 7" 

10 more of the same picture and 3 more videos : 

And so on and on. Every coin he posted was some kind of rare SMS coin with only few known examples. In reality they was just ordinary common coins. And he wouldn't listen to the experts on here. I'm no expert myself but I got enough sense to listen to these guys. Most of these guys write books and do this stuff for a living. Been collecting for years. They know what they are talking about. They do get one here and there that won't listen to them. And get mad when they shatter their dream of having a rare valuable coin. And Ratzie33 was one of them. Only every other coin he found was rare. He got to where people started ignoring his post. Poor guy wouldn't let no one help him. 

last i heard he got an american rescue plan federal grant, due to numismatic discrimination n abuse, n is starting his own tpg company, rumor has it will have its own private labels with unique coin descriptions n specialize in coins that were heretofore unknown to coin experts....who knew...

Even back in the 1960s, kids reading comic books would see end page advertisements on "If you have a 1943 copper penny… etc., etc., then you are rich."

Maybe occasionally back then, you might read about someone actually finding one.  It would then be authenticated by experts, found to be genuine, and then it was probably stored in a safe deposit box.

Suffice it to say that, most likely, every genuine 1943 copper penny has already been found.

Just from Googling this topic, you can readily learn that 40 are known to exist, and half have been certified.  The odds of finding one from all the pennies in circulation is one in 15 million, though it is vague as to how those odds are arrived at.  I think the odds are even smaller.

13 minutes ago, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Even back in the 1960s, kids reading comic books would see end page advertisements on "If you have a 1943 copper penny… etc., etc., then you are rich."

Maybe occasionally back then, you might read about someone actually finding one.  It would then be authenticated by experts, found to be genuine, and then it was probably stored in a safe deposit box.

Suffice it to say that, most likely, every genuine 1943 copper penny has already been found.

Just from Googling this topic, you can readily learn that 40 are known to exist, and half have been certified.  The odds of finding one from all the pennies in circulation is one in 15 million, though it is vague as to how those odds are arrived at.  I think the odds are even smaller.

That's what I figured. Probably all been found already. 

I believe every genuine 1943 copper penny has been found -- how it was determined how many were minted and of the ones found, that only half have been certified, is a mystery to me, but 1:15 million odds of finding one seems a bit generous. Billions of cents have been minted and placed into circulation in the past 75+ years; your odds of finding one probably rival that of winning a lottery like Mega Millions or Powerball.  [The one (allegedly) found by Ratzie does not count because he lost his and it hasn't been seen since.]  😉

Without having an earned opinion on this matter, I would say that the odds of finding one would be in the billions also, due to how may pennies have been put into circulation

in the last 100 years. On that comment I would say that the odds (although not near as high) of finding a counterfeit 1943 are very high also. That being said, and thinking

about how many millions of consumers that never pay any attention to their pennies, I personally want to believe it is still possible.

This is an update on my 1943 (P) copper penny. The 1943-S as I mentioned earlier in this post, has been found to indeed be a counterfeit, just as all of you thought it was.

It was almost 100% copper and the "3" was wrong which I even picked upon after this post started. A coin dealer did the testing and inspection of the coin. At the time of that

inspection I did not have the other with me, but showed her pictures, and she definitely wanted me to bring it in. I am taking it in tomorrow for what will probably be the final opinion

as I think I should. Quintus even suggested I do this on an earlier post. My hopes are not high or anything like that, because I pretty well stand with the opinions given here, but I should

not just shelve it, and maybe later discard it, without getting a composition check, and other various visual and professional on hands inspection of this penny. Just to close the matter in my head.

One of the things I wanted to mention was the comment that Quintus made about the VDB Initials, and that was where he asked me if I could see them in magnifying glass. I bought a stronger

magnifier than what I had, and proceeded to look at it again thoroughly. Maybe it is as someone else said on here of being a wannabe perception, but I feel that I do see a hint of the B...no others

just the B. And it is such a slight hint that many would tell me they see something else. Now more than likely I am imagining it, and letting imperfect metal lead me astray, but there is another aspect of this. 

I have a 1945, a 1946, and a 1947 penny and I have inspected each of those pennies repeatedly and got my son to do it also, to back me up...............and there is not even a faint VDB Initial

on all three of those pennies. I cannot even see where any may have been. They are somewhat worn pennies, but not corroded, and the strike is ok....not perfect though. And these pennies would be ones

that a counterfeiter wouldn't bother with. They are not really rare in any way and their value is insignificant.

My question is this. is it possible for these Initials to completely disappear over time, and can a microscopic inspection account for something being there when we cant see it with the naked eye

or even a strong magnifier. I have three 1940's pennies that seem to have no VDB Initial.

1 hour ago, ronnie stein said:

I wish you would take it easy on Ratz. If you haven't stared at a parking lot cent on acid, you don't know what real fun is. I know what your thinking, a dime is 10 times the fun. No, its the same.

[You are right.  It is possible, recovering from major surgery, he was, as was I, under the influence of strong prescription painkilling medication.

If I am ever asked what prompted me to assemble a near world class collection of French 20-franc gold roosters, I will answer truthfully and unequivocally:  30 tablets of oxycodone/acetaminophen, 5/325.  No more comments at Ratzie33's expense. I see my impertinence has even gotten Alex in PA all riled up. Thank you, gentlemen, for allowing me to see the error of my ways. My apologies to Ratzie.]

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Misspelling and missing closing bracket.

No one should feel down about making a mistake.  We all have been taken in once, or more times, in our life.  Mine wasn't coins; I had learned prior to collecting those  

Got 'had' when I was younger and collecting American Civil War items.  Bought a model 1861 Springfield Rifled Musket.  I really wanted to inspect this closer but the seller wouldn't let me disassemble the weapon.  Paid a heft price (in those days) for it.  No returns and no refunds and prior to EBay.  Happens to us all.

About this musket I held so tight

Many books on this I had read

Took the barrel off and turned it over

“Made in Italy” was all it said

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

No one should feel down about making a mistake.  We all have been taken in once, or more times, in our life.  Mine wasn't coins; I had learned prior to collecting those  

Got 'had' when I was younger and collecting American Civil War items.  Bought a model 1861 Springfield Rifled Musket.  I really wanted to inspect this closer but the seller wouldn't let me disassemble the weapon.  Paid a heft price (in those days) for it.  No returns and no refunds and prior to EBay.  Happens to us all.

About this musket I held so tight

Many books on this I had read

Took the barrel off and turned it over

“Made in Italy” was all it said

That was a hard lick. That's probably why that guy wouldn't let you take it apart. Sad people will do anything to crook people anymore. I'd rather be poor than have to stoop to those levels. At least I would still have my conscience.

2 minutes ago, Hoghead515 said:

That was a hard lick. That's probably why that guy wouldn't let you take it apart. Sad people will do anything to crook people anymore. I'd rather be poor than have to stoop to those levels. At least I would still have my conscience.

Why the heck can’t people say “no” and walk away? If it seems someone is hiding something, they almost 100% are. Don’t fall for the “take it or leave it” shtick. LEAVE IT!

5 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Why the heck can’t people say “no” and walk away?

In my defense all I can says is:  I was a teenager and still at that age where I believed adults were beyond reproach.  I sure have learned better.  Some coin and antique dealers get real mad at me when I won't sell at their crazy low prices.  Now I say NO only once and then I am gone.  

26 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

In my defense all I can says is:  I was a teenager and still at that age where I believed adults were beyond reproach.  I sure have learned better.  Some coin and antique dealers get real mad at me when I won't sell at their crazy low prices.  Now I say NO only once and then I am gone.  

I understand their need for gross margin, but it’s not the only thing “gross” about dealing with dealers. 

3 hours ago, numisport said:

Anyone know what causes those staples to fail like that ? Is it the staples or the stapler ?

I'm gonna vote stapler. 

On 4/12/2021 at 12:48 PM, vnam1971 said:

My question is this. is it possible for these Initials to completely disappear over time, and can a microscopic inspection account for something being there when we cant see it with the naked eye

Unlikely unless the coin is worn down to AG or lower.  The presses were set to strike up the harder steel composition so when they struck the softer copper the details were brought up very sharply.  The initials on a genuine 43 copper should be sharp and well formed.  The only reason they wouldn't be would be if the die was heavily worn.