• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 US Quarter error

25 posts in this topic

Thanks for offering this forum. I have a 1982 US Quarter that appears to be a mint error on the obverse. I have found some information on the internet with ‘82 quarter error examples but not this. The details on the front appear to be “flattened” on George’s face and the edges. I took a picture along with another 1982 Quarter to compare. They weigh the same and appear the same on the reverse and edges.  So my questions are: do you all agree this is mint error, and if so would this have enough value to get verified and graded, or are error coins even graded?  Two pictures provided, unusual George on the right. hope these help. I collect military medals and not savvy about the coin world. Thanks!  

B9961180-6FE0-4B7A-845B-731FAA3CA601.jpeg

60F6FDCF-A1D1-4E29-9B0E-A8E1FEA55838.jpeg

'Stang and Sharann are correct. Not an error, PMD. If you want some confirmation, weigh them both. The worn one should be notably lighter due to metal loss; I'd guess at 10%+, though the lack of wear on the reverse (where normally there is just as much wear as on the obverse of a worn coin) hints that it might be less than 10%.

Thanks for all the feedback. I weighed the 1982 quarters on my scale and they we both The same at .011 and other quarters .013 so was not sure what the deal was there. Thanks for confirming just someone messing with a quarter. 

1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

I'm gettin better! 😊

Glad to see that you are willing to learn and not just rely on everyone else to do the work for you. This hobby is a lot more fun when you can identify some of the many forms of damage and errors for yourself. Keep on replying to the different questions, it is a good way to teach yourself. State what you thing the right answer is, if your right, great, if your wrong, (and don't worry about being wrong, everyone is once in a while) you will learn the correct answer for the next time.

Thank you! I was a little apprehensive about answering his question earlier, but then I thought about it for a second, or maybe less 😂, because I knew I was right!  I am just afraid that I may lead someone astray... But I also knew if I was wrong, then the OP and I would both know really fast. 😉 Thanks for the encouragement 🙂

1 hour ago, Conder101 said:

Told you it wouldn't take you long before you would be able to start answering questions for newbies.

Yes, you sure did! I really, really (and this is not a facetious statement as made by some on here) hope that one day I can be as full of knowledge as you and several others I have come to know. Thank you 🙂

On 5/4/2022 at 8:26 PM, J.Owen said:

WHT could possibly do that though you can see the double dies and extra letters in it

I could do that; just give me some phosphoric acid and a couple of punches. There are no doubled dies or extra letters in it.

Edited by JKK

On 5/4/2022 at 11:26 PM, J.Owen said:

WHT could possibly do that though you can see the double dies and extra letters in it

Never assume you have an error because you can't explain how the damage occurred.  There are many, many ways for a coin to become damaged after it leaves the mint, but only a limited number of ways an error can be produced, and those have been researched and stufied.

Errors and varieties can always be be explained through the minting and die making process and that process would not produce a coin that looks like yours.  

Spend some time studying the following sites.

https://www.coinnews.net/2014/01/06/how-the-denver-mint-makes-dies-to-produce-coins/

This is what happens when people subscribe to the You Tube Masters of Coin Creation.  Every piece of abused, danaged and destroyed pocket change becomes an 'Error' or a 'New Variety'.  And for those who object to this opinion send your find in and have it Authenticated/Graded and then post pictures.

On 5/4/2022 at 10:11 PM, J.Owen said:

MY Names JakeI have a 1981 quarter looks like its been melted with acid I think it is a mint error

On 5/4/2022 at 10:26 PM, J.Owen said:

Punctuation and capitalization are your friends. ;)

Welcome to the forum!  Your research was correct, they are all post mint damage.  Don't be discouraged though, you are way ahead of most first time posters just recognizing that they are damaged.  The first step in finding something good, is recognizing what to look for!

Edited by l.cutler

Welcome to the Forum

You are correct in stating everything is PMD, there is nothing there that could happen when the coin was struck.  
Also in the future, please start a new thread for your coins. It gets confusing when there are too many coins posted at once.

Welcome everybody!

Well, we have a bunch of badly damaged quarters. We have one scale that is either not a gram scale or an accurate scale or both. And we have a YoubeToobie expert somewhere out there that every coin put through a die grinder is a mint error.

To answer the question if mint errors are certified, the answer is yes. That is after you pay for your membership ($50-$200), roughly $30 shipping to the grading service, $18 tier grading fee, $15 mint error substantiation fee, and the return shipping fee of $25-$50.

I wish YouTube would pull videos with inaccurate information in them.