• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Misgrades

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have 2 coins graded by NGC which are incorrect. One is graded as D when it is clearly upon inspection is plain P. I also have an error graded coin as a double clip when it is actually a triple clip. Are these worth anything?

Edited by M.Cline

18 minutes ago, M.Cline said:

I have 2 coins graded by NGC which are incorrect.

So?  I've got three mislabeled by ATS.  People make mistakes and my 2 1/2 Dollar Gold isn't really a $1.00 gold.

46 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum.

Please supply pictures along with your questions. It helps us in knowing what your referring to.

20210402_174722.jpg

20210402_174653.jpg

The 46 is as Mike noted a simple error, the person that created the label typed it wrong and it was not caught before it left.   Real basic and easy to fix if you send it in to NGC, however if you don't want to spend the money to send it in you don't have to.    There are collectors that like to collect these mechanical errors although I do not think these carry very much of a price premium.   As to the Kennedy its possible that NGC is considering the third minor clip the blakesley effect and did thus did not consider it a full clip.   I would agree with Mike that a call to customer service could provide the answer you seek on that coin.

2 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

So?  I've got three mislabeled by ATS.  People make mistakes and my 2 1/2 Dollar Gold isn't really a $1.00 gold.

Sir, According to my Aging eyes, and the miracle of computer zoom, it sure looks like a 1946 D coin to me and hence NOT an error which is a good thing for you!.

1946D.jpg

16 hours ago, Mr.Bill347 said:

According to my Aging eyes, and the miracle of computer zoom, it sure looks like a 1946 D coin to me and hence NOT an error which is a good thing for you!.

The OP was referring to the 1946 half, not the '68-D Kennedy

9 hours ago, RWB said:

The OP was referring to the 1946 half, not the '68-D Kennedy

Sorry the OP should have included a picture of the obverse of the 46 then.

my bad.