• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1916 penny error?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

It is very difficult to answer your questions without seeing a full shot of the obverse and reverse along with the close up.  From just this it looks like damage.

Here are the full pictures.

9538BD7F-6F21-4617-827C-6660CFEF050D.jpeg

8513E57B-EC0E-4F46-9085-804B9762D7E0.jpeg

PMD ( Post Minting Damage)

Jfantnj- Everything you have been posting is just circulation damage of one sort or the other.

Things like gouges, dings, scratches, broken letters, worn letters etc. are nearly always damage. It is only an error if it happens during the actual striking of the coin. Instead of looking at everything as an error, look at it as damage and then ask yourself is it possible for this to happen when being struck. Most of the time the answer will be no.  Look up one of the several websites on what an actual error is and you will see the difference. One that I use is  “error-ref.com”  It’s a lot of reading but also a lot of information.

7 minutes ago, Greenstang said:

PMD ( Post Minting Damage)

Jfantnj- Everything you have been posting is just circulation damage of one sort or the other.

Things like gouges, dings, scratches, broken letters, worn letters etc. are nearly always damage. It is only an error if it happens during the actual striking of the coin. Instead of looking at everything as an error, look at it as damage and then ask yourself is it possible for this to happen when being struck. Most of the time the answer will be no.  Look up one of the several websites on what an actual error is and you will see the difference. One that I use is  “error-ref.com”  It’s a lot of reading but also a lot of information.

Thank you very much! I love getting resources!