• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would this 1995 D Lincoln Cent be considered a DDO ?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

It is called "Split Plate Doubling," and is considered damage. The following is copied from Error-Ref.com:

Definition: Best expressed and most often seen among broadstrikes and off-center strikes, split plating doubling is restricted to copper-plated zinc cents.  When the planchet is struck, the portion trapped beneath the dies expands in all directions.  The thin copper plating is subjected to tensile as well as compressive stress.  The tensile stress causes the copper plating to rupture, exposing the underlying zinc.  The exposed zinc often outlines large centrally-located design elements, like busts and buildings.  Split plating doubling can, however, involve any design element, including peripheral ones.

Another factor involved in split plating doubling is a tendency for the copper plating to catch on the sharp corners of the recesses in the die face.  This can tear open the copper plating as the coin expands.

22 minutes ago, DudeW said:

Here is a picture of the date on the coin.

Screenshot_20210330-163358.png

I wish, just for once, I could say your coin bears a striking resemblance to the fabled '55, but in all good conscience I cannot.  Barring that, I wish I were able to see what you see, or think you see. Better you hear this from me than those whose dismissiveness is ill-mannered and borders on the profane.

1 hour ago, Sharann said:

I thought the 1995 DDO error was on the Philadelphia MM. Is it a known one on the D as well? 

There are four listed on Variety Vista. NGC recognizes one - FS-103.

2 hours ago, Sharann said:

I thought the 1995 DDO error was on the Philadelphia MM. Is it a known one on the D as well? 

The Philly one got all the attention as it was promoted, the Denver FS-103 is has a nice spread on IGWT but not as dramatic on the rest of the obv.   If the Denver DDO ever gets added to the registry sets then it will be a much more sought after coin.