• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question regarding NGC certification of HK-402 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition Alabama State SCD

5 posts in this topic

I have been looking for a high grade Alabama State Fund So Called Dollar and ran across this listing. In the listing the seller is adamant that this is a 1963 re-strike. Upon some research it does appear there was a series of re-strikes, using the the original dies, in the early 60s. 

I was surprised that this was not designated in any way on the NGC label/cert. Does NGC delineate between original and re-strike, and if so is this original or a re-strike missing the designation? Below is the text of the listing. 

For Sale: $425.00 · NGC MS 65

Reference HK-402
SH 18-12.1 ABZ
Date 1915
Grade NGC MS 65
4912431-003
Price $425.00
Item # 1192
Metal Antiqued Bronze

Near TOP POP, only 1 certified finer in 66. Alabama State Fund Dollar from the 1915 Panama – Pacific International Exposition. Plate Medal in Pacific Coast Expositions book. A very popular piece with a price of $137.50 in the Hibler and Kappen book published in 1963. Struck in Antiqued Bronze. 1963 restrike.

D52548D6-E711-4CFE-8CF1-F790FC88BA5D.jpeg

64F7B3F6-EDBF-42AB-B1B2-934DD2CA619A.jpeg

98F4DE4C-616E-47EF-9826-5199DAC581FA.jpeg

Moderator - can you tell my why this isn’t being approved? I’ve twice posted this and waited a month now from the first post. What is the problem?

On 4/8/2021 at 8:31 AM, Woods020 said:

Moderator - can you tell my why this isn’t being approved? I’ve twice posted this and waited a month now from the first post. What is the problem?

I am a so-called dollar collector. In my experience the medal people at NGC are pretty good at divining between originals and restrikes. A restrike from the 1960's would not have the toning that this bronze metal has. It would not be old enough for this hue..   

On 5/16/2021 at 10:19 PM, Woods020 said:

Is there any chance of NGC answering this question?

My experience with NGC medals is that they seldom give a definitive answer to why a medal was not certified. I am the author of.a medal book used to reference medals and they call upon me from time to time to answer a question about a medal's composition or finish, but there is never a two way communication other than "Thanks"!

I agree with John5123 that the graders are very good and even once found a variation that slipped by me when I submitted the medal. I would be surprised if NGC would not designate a restruck medal. You might send a message to NGC customer service or Lisa B who you see on this chat board--Lisa will likely find the answer if that is possible.