• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hi how can i tell if a coin is counterfit
1 1

16 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, proud potato said:

First, you have to learn the difference between counterfit and crossfit. It's an easy mistake to make.

Buy some books and do some reading, then you will need to look at thousands of coins to learn how to identify counterfeits.   There is no one size fits all for your question, counterfeits are and look different for each metal type and kind of U.S. coin

One thing that you can do is compare the photo of the coin you are interested in with that of a known genuine coin and look for minute differences. 

Sometimes the difference in weight can tell you.

Look at the seller, is he reputable? Is he selling a high value coin for a low price?

Basically there is a lot of studying that goes into identifying a counterfeit, especially with the new technology the counterfeiters have come up with.

You can always post a photo of the coin on this forum and someone should be able to help you identify whether it is genuine or not.

On 3/27/2021 at 12:31 AM, proud potato said:

but i asked a question to not have to spend money

And the answer is that you're going to have to spend money.

On 3/27/2021 at 8:53 AM, bsshog40 said:

If you are looking at a coin that you are unsure of, copy the pictures and post them here with your question/questions

But do that too often without making an attempt to educate yourself and you risk annoying people.  Many of use have spent years educating ourselves.  We don't mind helping, but if people just expect us to give the answers time and time again just using us, we get "grumpy".

On 3/26/2021 at 11:07 PM, proud potato said:

As has been pointed out many times in the past, that question will not be answered on this forum or other forums as the OP may be fishing for information on how to produce better counterfeit coins. 

1 hour ago, LOCK34 said:

As has been pointed out many times in the past, that question will not be answered on this forum or other forums as the OP may be fishing for information on how to produce better counterfeit coins. 

no i just dont want to buy one