• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Roosevelt Dime New Error
1 1

9 posts in this topic

On 3/25/2021 at 6:53 AM, Moxie15 said:

I have to say the dime is post mint as I cannot see how that would happen during striking.

If 2 identical dimes can be found, then there's a real discovery. One coin is merely damage.

It almost looks like a grease/debris plug from a letter on the die dislodged and was struck through. I’m 100% speculating and in no way saying that’s what it is. But it is interesting. Especially if it wasn’t done by someone in the garage with a punch or from being compressed against another coin either accidentally or in a vise. 

Edited by Woods020

1 hour ago, Woods020 said:

It almost looks like a grease/debris plug from a letter on the die dislodged and was struck through. I’m 100% speculating and in no way saying that’s what it is. But it is interesting. Especially if it wasn’t done by someone in the garage with a punch or from being compressed against another coin either accidentally or in a vise. 

Are you referring to a "dropped letter?" I had that same thought, until I looked at the full coin picture. It is too small to be the "O" in "GOD," or part of one of the numerals. It does not look to be raised or incuse, but looks like it is part of the surface. It would be great to see the coin in hand, but, from the picture, it looks like a stain of some sort. Whether it is a "Struck through something tiny" or not may be impossible to determine.

4 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Are you referring to a "dropped letter?" I had that same thought, until I looked at the full coin picture. It is too small to be the "O" in "GOD," or part of one of the numerals. It does not look to be raised or incuse, but looks like it is part of the surface. It would be great to see the coin in hand, but, from the picture, it looks like a stain of some sort. Whether it is a "Struck through something tiny" or not may be impossible to determine.

Agreed. The letter size is strange if that is what it is. I was debating the same thing.